Featured Number 2 in a Series; Kendi Ritual Water Vessel

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 9, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

fullsizeoutput_9914.jpeg This one has a lid, or cover. It's shorter overall, and the neck, spout, and decoration are materially different...but the similarity is obvious.

The bottom is dead flat and, though my pics don't show it, there is a forked crack at one of the kiln hot-spots. It doesn't rattle, so the vessel is stable, an' I doubt it'll leak there. Burnished rather than glazed, same like the other...and high fired as well. Finely an' probably quickly done...these may well have been produced in fair quantities. Free looks...an' Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_9919.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9918.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9917.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9916.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9915.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9912.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9911.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thank you, Laura...Right you are!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Never assume that people read or remember all your threads.;) There are so many threads on Antiquers.
    Nearly all kendis had lids, but most get lost during the course of time.
    Replacement lids are also made sometimes, I have a brass kendi with a carved wooden Hanuman stopper.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted