O & E G Royal Austria Plate - Help with Date

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 21, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this plate by O & E G (corrected from "Q" to "O" by SIS) dinner plate that is signed by the artist - George. There is so much conflicting information out there, I was hoping for help here in finding out when this plate may have been created. The subject is roses. The amount of work to make the gold trim is astonishing. There is a old crack on the rim, so not perfect. Any thoughts and comments appreciated. IMG_8306.jpg IMG_8304.JPG IMG_8310.JPG IMG_8308.jpg IMG_8312.JPG IMG_8311.JPG

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think that is O. & E. G., this is from Rontgen's book of marks.

img20201221_115557.jpg

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

I see I got it wrong! No wonder I couldn't find anything. Thanks so much. Thank you for the dates too. Those dates make me happy. I am always amazed when something fragile and supposedly used would last this long.

i need help and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's probably a decal with the tiniest bit of handpainting, such as the gold line around the edge, to qualify as hand painted.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Good to know. Thank you. I’ll have to examine it carefully when I get home.

6. KikoBlueEyes

I'm always trying to learn. Overpainted transfers or just transfers?

IMG_8335.JPG IMG_8334.JPG IMG_8333.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8331.JPG IMG_8330.JPG

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

As janetpjohn suggested it's primarily transfer with a few bits of hand painted highlights. Usually if you look close you can see a few tiny flaws where the transfer didn't quite take correctly. In your last picture it looks like there are some examples of this in the branches and leaves. The best way to find the hand painting is sometimes to run you hand lightly over the surface of the plate. The hand painting will be felt as gentle ridges usually along the edges of the flower petals. If you can't feel those ridges then it's most likely the trim that qualified it as hand painted and the rest is all transfer. The surface of the blank was not perfectly smooth which is why I think you are getting that granular effect in your photos. It wouldn't be noticeable if it wasn't for the magnification. It's a pretty plate but typical for it's type. By the time your plate was produced the export boom was in full swing and cost cutting measures were in full effect. Any way the manufacturers could save money and time they used.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed analysis and suggestions. I learn best through experience. This plate was less than $5 to purchase and because of you and other members I has been paid back far more than that in value. Recently I turned away from an “Antique” pitcher with a bogus mark with transfers because of what I have learned here. Thanks so much

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted