Featured O Salutaris Hostia Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jan 22, 2016.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I picked this little pin up today - was thinking maybe for a 1st communion? Is this type of pin referred to as a bar pin? The top part is 1 1/2", the second part is 1", marked on the back O Salutaris Hostia.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    thanks for looking
    DSC02927.jpg DSC02928.jpg DSC02925.jpg

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

The Latin quote is a line from a Eucharistic hymn by St Thomas Aquinas, associated with the Feast of Corpus Christi. Translates as "O saving sacrifice."
    The design represents a monstrance, or Eucharist chalice, I believe. It may be a commemorative pin from the procession in Rome that is traditionally associated with the Feast of Corpus Christi.

from Wikipedia: "

The feast is liturgically celebrated on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday...at the end of Holy Mass, there is often a procession of the Blessed Sacrament, generally displayed in a monstrance. The procession is followed by Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. A notable Eucharistic procession is that presided over by the Pope each year in Rome, where it begins at the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran and makes its way to the Basilica of Saint Mary Major, where it concludes with Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament."

Or maybe from a first communion, as you say.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

monstrance: a consecrated vessel to contain the Host.
    Monstrance.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the information all_fakes!
    I think you are on the right track:)
    Looks like these are called bar pins.

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted