Featured Oak Mirrored Buffet Info?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shwikman, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

I’m assuming it’s a buffet but I’m usually sometimes wrong.

Seems like one of the “nicer” pieces of furniture I’m coming across, solidly built and somewhat ornate...but still stately if that makes any sense. Looks to have been refinished or kept ina time capsule.
    Wondering if anybody has any ideas as to its age and origin...maybe value as well.
    Thanks Again!
    955AD461-5C26-4A66-92C1-2589D6B7E2A9.jpeg C6228950-5F4F-4AF5-AD11-6B2111D57B31.jpeg 87AC2CD7-E44F-4A33-8FC7-ACB7B0633EFC.jpeg BFE45238-F8BE-4FCB-9707-B7C0B328B43F.jpeg 8B82277D-7C29-4DF1-8219-1308A96C9D4E.jpeg

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like oak ca. 1900, American, neo-Renaissance with some aesthetic movement around the edges. Nice quarter-sawn oak!

And yes, it's a buffet.

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed .. LOVE IT !!! .. Joy.

4. Shwikman

Great info, thank you!
    So, since it’s 120(not 220ish !!!)years old it’s safe to say it was refinished in the last 30-50 years?
    Also...when I mentioned it being “nicer piece of furniture I’m coming across” I meant pieces with which I’m personally coming into acquaintance. I didn’t mean to sound like I believe it’s the nicest within any other context.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Check your math. 120, not 220.

6. Shwikman

Whoops. Fat fingers are the problem, luckily not the math! I “fixed” it ^^^.

7. Shwikman

I’m fact, here’s proof of the fat finger syndrome illustrated by great, great “uncle Charley”.
    3705FECA-7C43-494E-80A8-B95C2A89EB78.jpeg

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Golden Oak period buffet circa 1900 for sure.

9. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Just sold one here in Iowa not quite as ornate, and I felt very fortunate to get $250 for it.

10. Shwikman

Gosh, that seems so cheap.

11. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Well, it wasn't quite as nice as yours...Original finish though. I only paid $100 at an estate sale, so I made something anyway. Oak just doesn't sell here, no matter how good it is.

12. Shwikman

I remember my family almost bragging about “the oak” back in the 70’s and 80’s. Times have changed.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Seems about right for my Midwest location as well. We would start out higher but these are hard to sell these days and always end up taking less. Might do better in a big city.

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Pretty piece, @Shwikman

Just remembering what a big thing it was to refinish or "dip" oak furniture in the late 60s and into the 70s. Clear waterproof urethane kept that light finish - forever.

Lots of people got as far as stripping the top of a table or back of a chair themselves, then threw in the towel at legs and ornamental areas. That's how a lot of it ended up at my friend's stripping place.

Leaving behind TONS of great, blonde antique furniture that never develops a patina - but no water rings, either!

It's truly a miracle more Mission Style furniture didn't get destroyed!

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just wanted to say I have a thin book around here somewhere that has numerous photos and instructions.
    It is a book about removing and sawing off fancy moldings and such to create beautiful new sleek line furniture.:eek::eek::eek: It was published in the early 1950s.
    greg

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  16. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I bought a Hoosier hutch in the 70s, and Dad had a total blast refinishing it. He hooked the old flour bin up with a brand new hanging file drawer out of galvanized tin.

Mom had the handles re-nickled at work - HiShear, an aerospace fastener company.

Nothing was too state-of-the-art for that hutch, and me! :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted