Featured Odd Antique Tool I need help Identifying

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by reliks obscurus, Dec 30, 2022.

1. reliks obscurus

reliks obscurus New Member

I got these from an Aunt and all she knows is that they came from Italy. oddwrench.jpeg oddwrench3.jpeg

Born2it, J Dagger, wlwhittier and 3 others like this.
  2. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Old window shutter lock. In image below right.
    Age? As long as shutters were in use. Could be 50 yo up to 500 yo.
    With these, based on metal choise and style, and my (often seen on old buildings) knowledge of these i roughly guess they are 19th or 18th century.

luiksluiting.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very cool ! To me they look like brackets that held something,maybe a lantern?

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

French name for these is "tête de bergère" still made today for old style shutter stops.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Fabulous ! Now I can see that !

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Way cool! Salvaged; the iron forked-tang must have been mortared into the vertical gap between bricks. The business ends appear to be weathered brass or bronze. How clever...Thanks!

7. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Quickly dug into it. Intriged me :happy:
    Is seems my estimated dating looks good, as modern ones and all recent antiques have screw ends. Not mortared in, so that seems to be a serious old way to do.

Point of attention. I see them often on old houses and farms overhere, but i saw much much less dismantled like these mortared ones. Not to find or buy that easy. Kinda special. Be careful with them i would say.

Born2it likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted