Featured Odd enamel egg pendant with gunner or canon inside and stand. Married?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Jan 22, 2021.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

5B3C1585-8E60-434F-A1A9-ED39DA91BA2B.jpeg 4CC2452F-DE52-42A6-A234-E282780C406F.jpeg 830A87A9-ACE0-4B2B-981D-4E49EDC4EF97.jpeg 632D87AA-C53A-4D02-B905-C19EAC94B744.jpeg A06E1942-1C8D-462F-93B8-8E08DE28E82E.jpeg 1865ABC3-7FBE-409F-9350-107A62849F54.jpeg 9E4A4B7E-4EC8-4464-BBE6-9F7C0D93AD93.jpeg 93DB0076-100C-4767-9434-774667258485.jpeg
    I liked this and was surprised to find the canon guy inside. Anyone know anything about this? I think it’s older Do you think the stand was married to it?
    Thank you for any help. I tried pic searches and google with key words and got nothing except for bazillion dollar fabrege eggs, I wish!!!

KSW, judy, ritzyvintage and 6 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's St. Michael on the outside. The stones around the top are rhinestones. Beyond that... dunno.

KSW, judy, pearlsnblume and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think you missed the dragon, Ruth. That's St. George, isn't it?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

didn't we have a thread about eggs.?

KSW, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, gauntlett.:) I believe the dark red cabochons vary slightly in tone, which means they could be natural garnets, a stone used a lot in Russia.
    I wonder if it was made to commemorate a war or battle. Maybe from a series of pendant replicas of a bigger egg.
    Obviously the egg is a pendant, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be displayed on a stand. The stand does look like it could be by the same maker.
    How does the egg sit in the stand if you have the stand the other way around, on the ring with the pointy things up? To me it looks like that would be the right way up.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

How neat is that. I like it.

8. April07

Are there any marks? I don't think it's Faberge. The pendant on the link I posted commemorates either Russian - Japanese war 1905-06, or WWI. Yours might be just a more generic reference.
    This egg, for example, goes on the same website as Faberge-inspired
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...an-enameled-egg-trinket-box-215b-c-1da48bcb96
    They are not exact copies, rather made in style and gathering elements from various Faberge production.

9. Any Jewelry

I agree, it isn't Fabergé quality, but it could be a copy of a Fabergé egg.
    The pendant and stand look like they could fit in that time frame, imo.

gauntlettgems, KSW and i need help like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Other half bought me a couple of nice copies of Faberge eggs in Moscow. There's a fair few souvenir copies out there, old and new.

KSW likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

You can buy those copies here as well, also ones by the new Fabergé. Most are not as nice as this one though.

KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
  12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Nice thing! I have a little mini egg pendant too, mine doesn’t open though. It’s gotta be silver at least? Too nice not to be. Looks like some letters or numbers on the jump ring? You would guess .840.

gauntlettgems and KSW like this.
  13. evelyb30

Not if it's Russian. I have one of those paper pasted on wood icons of St Michael and he's shown slaying a dragon - it's in Revelation. Why they made an archangel a Saint I haven't a clue.

gauntlettgems and KSW like this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

St. George is on the Moscow coat of arms...

[​IMG]

~Cheryl

KSW, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. evelyb30

16. Any Jewelry

17. April07

The writing on the icon says Άγιος Γεώργιος - St. George.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Any Jewelry, KSW and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Thanks, April.

19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Four or five years ago an exhibit of Fabergé pieces made the rounds of the Museums here in the US. I went and the gift shop was filled with eggs of all sizes and designs. I don't remember seeing this one but I wonder if it dates from that time frame.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I’ll look it over again for marks. I’ll post a pic with the pointy things up. That’s how u originally suspected it went but then I overthought it. Lol. I thought it might of had some real age to it. If I ever find my presidium, I’ll test the red stones. I bought it thinking it was some purity of silver. I just hate to scratch nicer items.
    I’ll get back to ya this afternoon or evening

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted