Odd Kisii stone cup with carved handwriting

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by AntiqueBytes, Jan 8, 2021.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Not sure if the tourist did the carving of the text or if it was done for her on the spot by the artist. Any ideas? Seems like it might take some skill to be able to write on stone like that. It's 3" x 3" high. I have a similar item someone identifies as Kisii stone from Kenya, and this one even says Kenya on it.

kisihandwritingcup1.jpg kisihandwritingcup2.jpg kisihandwritingcup3.jpg kisihandwritingcup4.jpg kisihandwritingcup5.jpg

judy and i need help like this.
  2. AntiqueBytes

I see now it says "By Lilian"....so maybe that is the artist name. It is a common enough name in Kenya.

3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

This looks like it was probably made in Kenya or somewhere close. The Kissi are a tribe or group in West Africa. Mostly Guinea and Sierra Leone. They traditionally carve stone but this is definitely not that. Who knows, maybe they carve stuff like this for tourists now though. Below are some pics of what their traditional stone carvings look like. 7BB4F7B0-B631-4AAE-84F4-C0CA20BFB98F.jpeg AD836049-3BE7-4808-873B-F8D7E8CBEC24.jpeg B31A1DB3-2B3C-402F-B6D2-64E717F62554.jpeg

judy likes this.
  4. AntiqueBytes

Here are the ones I was told looked like Kisii stone carvings.

oldfishvase.jpg oldfishvase1.jpg oldfishvase2.jpg oldfishvase4.jpg oldfishvase6.jpg

judy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. AntiqueBytes

Thanks! Any thoughts on what that second item is that I posted?

judy likes this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Another modern tourist item. Not traditional.

Edit: the abstract designs may be traditional to somewhere. I don’t think so but they may be. It’s not in any way a traditional Kissi carving as I know them though.

Draft saved Draft deleted