Odd kitchen gadget

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Aug 13, 2016.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

IMG_1028.JPG Here is an odd item, presumably in the kitchen cutlery category judging by the handle that could be any old knife or fork. The white metal end is very complicatedly shaped. There is a small groove in the semicircle, and I was wondering if it was some gadget to open ring pull things without pain to the finger, except the general style is that of the first part of the 20th C. which seems to predate ring pull cans.

THe handle is Bakelite or similar.

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. afantiques

How would that work?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Well, that was my immediate reaction. ;) Maybe not, but is the rounded edge of the white metal part (facing down in your second picture) at all sharp?

5. afantiques

Not really noticeably and it has that shallow groove all round the front(?) edge.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

I still think that's what it was meant to be, but hopefully others will chime in.

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

'Chime' twice here in one day. :)

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks like it says something on the metal. Any chance that might be helpful?

9. afantiques

It says Patent but the number is very tiny and hard to decipher, might be 10085 or 65 , All the stamps are blurred. That would, I assume, be a UK patent.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

water melon cutter ?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I'm making this up (or as some would say "thinking outside the box") but because it has what looks like a small oval opening (receptacle?) at the end . . .

I wonder if it is some sort of "seed catcher" for fruit and/or vegetable (once the fruit or vegetable has been cut up/sliced/cubed????).

12. komokwa

the downward sloping metal has a sharp edge.......that gotta be for slicing something !!

13. afantiques

It is not a receptacle, just a groove.

It does not have any sharp edges, nothing I could cut myself with and I just took it out of my pocket and tried.

14. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

No receptacle, no sharp edges, no immediately known use or value . . . no wonder it was "shed material." ;)

I'd leave it in the shed and let any archaeologists with enough stamina to brave the shed over the next two or three centuries scratch their heads over it. ;) :D

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. afantiques

That sounds like a plan, even a good plan, but, and some may shudder to hear it, but the contents of the shed and garage are being boxed up and shipped out to a local auction room to sell for whatever they will fetch.
    It's an old age thing, I'd rather have a few expensive, but fine articles in the house to see every day than an interesting hoard that needs an excavator to appreciate.

Wish list items include a good 18th C longcase clock, a pair of George III silver candelabra, a picture or two by Oliver Clare and almost certainly a mystery item or two that I have no idea about now but I will know when I see them.

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

17. komokwa

You're not a watermelon !

Could it be medical in nature ???

18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I wonder if there is something missing that would have attached where the grooves are.

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Might it be one of those scrapers used as an eraser in drafting. I'm seeing parallel lines in the handle so, if you are satisfied that it's plastic, then that type of celluloid called French Ivory.

20. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its to remove seeds , but what I dont know . Maybe grapes ?

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted