Odd Metal Cylinder Tools

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Joelle A, May 18, 2021.

  1. Joelle A

    Joelle A New Member


    I recently came across what I think is an old tool however, I have no idea what it could have been used for. It is cylindrical in shape with a hinged cap, inside are 14 hollow tubes/cylinders that sit nested inside one another. Each tube is slightly tapered towards the bottom and has a thin rim at the top. They are made out of a thin sturdy metal. They are all covered in a light colored fine dirt that I'm guessing is not from age but from use? The only identifying marks are on/near the hinge, the numbers "2499" and a mark that is difficult to make out. The mark looks like a bearded man holding something and surrounded by foliage.

    Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions as to what this is

    AntiqueNestingTool 1.png AntiqueNestingTool 2.png AntiqueNestingTool 3.png AntiqueNestingTool 4.png DSC_0059re.png DSC_0060re.png
    Bronwen and Roaring20s like this.
  2. komokwa

    komokwa The Truth is out there...!

    a nesting set of...????
    neat though !!
    Bronwen and Joelle A like this.
  3. Hollyblue

    Hollyblue Well-Known Member

    Looks like Odin holding Thor's hammer.
    Bronwen and Joelle A like this.
  4. all_fakes

    all_fakes Well-Known Member

    Can they be assembled wrong way 'round to make a single long stick, like a pointer or portable baton? (Putting the wide end of the smallest over the narrow end of the second smallest, and so on - if they hold together in that configuration, a conductor could carry his baton in a pocket). Otherwise, I have no idea what you could do with them.
    Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

    Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

  6. komokwa

    komokwa The Truth is out there...!

    there's a thought !!!!:happy:
    Bronwen likes this.
  7. Joelle A

    Joelle A New Member

    They can be assembled that way, it's about 33' long if placed together that way. It's a little clunky but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. Thanks for commenting!
    Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

    Bronwen Well-Known Member

    Or Vulcan.
    sabre123 and Joelle A like this.
  9. Joelle A

    Joelle A New Member

    Bronwen likes this.
  10. Rayo56

    Rayo56 Well-Known Member

    To me, Being involved in pattern making and foundries, they look like a set of sprue pin patterns to make the hole in the sand molds where the molten metal is poured into. (Notice they have draft (taper) on them so they can be pulled easily out of the sand mold. NOTE: The "covered in fine dirt" could be the sand from the molds.

    komokwa, Bronwen, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  11. Rayo56

    Rayo56 Well-Known Member

    I couldn't find real pictures but I did find a drawing from a foundry tools internet page to show


    10. Sprue cutter: It is also used for the same purpose as a sprue pin, but there is a marked difference between their use in that the cutter is used to produce the hole after ramming the mould. It is in the form of a tapered hollow tube, which is inserted in the sand to produce the hole.
    komokwa, Bronwen, sabre123 and 4 others like this.
  12. Joelle A

    Joelle A New Member

    Wow! I think you've solved the mystery, I found some real photos of them and they are 100% identical. What I thought was dirt is very light in colour and most definitely could be sand
    Rayo56, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  13. all_fakes

    all_fakes Well-Known Member

    Too long for a baton, then; I think Ray nailed it!
    Joelle A, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads: Metal Cylinder
Forum Title Date
Tools What is it? Metal thingamajig Jun 6, 2020
Tools Old metal tool help Feb 14, 2020
Tools What is this small metal box - machine? I assume a tool of some kind Dec 9, 2019
Tools Unknown Metal Bracket Pieces... Military? May 18, 2019
Tools Help with identifing this metal tool? Dec 26, 2018

Share This Page