Odd shaped copper kettle teapot ... for a wood stove?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wildrose, Oct 3, 2017.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

I have never seen a pot shaped like this, wondering if it might be for water atop a wood stove? It is 11" by 8 3/4" at the base. Thoughts? Thank you. copperpot.jpg copper3.jpg

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Interesting item. Don't have a guess but . . . I will say that as far as really old wood-fired (cooking) stoves go they had a "built-in" large hot-water reservoir for hot water all day and into the evening (past supper) for washing up the last dishes of the day and for bedtime baths. ;)

Been there, done that in the nightly bath in the old claw-foot bathtub with hot water from the water reservoir in the old wood stove added by grandma when I would visit them for a week or two each summer as a child. :happy:

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  3. wildrose

great memories! <3 its just such and odd shape I haven't a clue.

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Wildrose, I just asked DH what he thought and he said "it almost looks like it is/was hand-crafted." Do you have a feeling that it is hand-crafted (an artistic item)?

P.S. DH also said he does not think it is an "industrial" item.

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Looks like a humidifier kettle for use on a (wood burning) two burner laundry stove.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. They make cast iron ones for the same purpose to this day. Or did the last I looked. Copper may still be available too.

7. wildrose

thanks for the replies...! yes I think it could have been hand crafted. Hope someone will love it!

Draft saved Draft deleted