Featured Oil lamp base with griffins (?) any resale value?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, May 10, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Base only. Metal on base is pretty pitted and there is rust, etc. inside, but I just loved the decoration on the glass or porcelain, and that part is is really nice shape.

Would you call these winged creatures griffins?

Obviously parts of this oil lamp are missing. Mostly wondering, would just a base like this have resale value? Also if anyone has keywords, or would know or could guess at the maker, let me know.

Thanks!

base3.jpg
    base3b.jpg

base4.jpg
    base5.jpg

Mold line on side:

base6.jpg
    base7.jpg

The winged dragon image appears on 2 sides:

base8.jpg

base9.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's an odd combination, I think the nearest mythological creature would be a Manticore, but it's not quite right. It's probably the artists own conception, and such random assortments are commonly called a Chimera (although there technically is a formula for this as well).

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Figtree3, cxgirl, patd8643 and 3 others like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks. Any idea if something like this (with missing parts) has any resale value?

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's not my area, but tops of oil lamps are relatively easy to acquire and there are even people making new burners, chimneys and reservoirs, so I suspect someone would want to buy it, especially with the interesting subject.

cxgirl, Any Jewelry and Lucille.b like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks like there may be a hole running through it which makes me wonder if it was an electric lamp base. Interesting looking bug-dog-griffin thing.

all_fakes, cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Oooooooo Lucille - I love your chalkware fish!!!

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

You can buy a font that would fit right down in the hollow:

[​IMG]

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I also love your fish. I have the same pair that is on the left on your photo.

9. Lucille.b

That's an idea! :) Thanks.

RE: FISH. The two on the left I got at an antique store on a vacation in Ohio, the Middle one w/3 babies from my former (RIP) SAVERS store, and the one on the right my daughter made many years ago as a class project in 1st grade.

10. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

It is nice 'art work'. A shame it is not signed.

pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what about those big guns..?

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Lucille. Love the beasties, whatever they are. Maybe @Bronwen has an idea?
    I thought she lived below sea level, another closet Dutchie.:confused::playful:

Firemandk, Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Lucille.b

The "beasties" sold it for me. This was another "in the cart" "out of the cart" "back in the cart" thrift purchase. Trying only to buy sure things, and just wasn't sure whether this would have resale value or not. In the end, the "beasties" won me over, and although I don't like to do this too much, you can return items with original sales tag, so just took a chance. Since it was $8 and heavy, would hope for at least $40-50 or more if sold. I think the jury is still out on that one, or??

I made such strides during Covid, basically sold 90% of back stock, I don't want to add a bunch of large unsaleable items, but I just love antique mythical looking things so here we are.

The inside is solid, but rusty and as SIS says maybe was turned into a lamp base at one time.

[QUOTE="I thought she lived below sea level, another closet Dutchie.:confused::playful:[/QUOTE]

Do you mean me? I did live in Leiden for 2.5 years in the 1980s. :)

Speaking of me not wanting to buy large items, stay tuned for my Hollywood Regency lamps.

bercrystal, cxgirl, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
    Yes, Leiden is below sea level.:playful:

pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  16. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

$40 would be about the tops you get for it around here in Central Iowa. The burner insert would be more than that.

Lucille.b and cxgirl like this.
  17. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I had one very similar with burner and chimney and got right around $100 for it within the last year or two.

Lucille.b and cxgirl like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Helpful. Thank you.

19. JASON SCHMIDT

JASON SCHMIDT New Member

IMG_5204.JPG IMG_5206.JPG IMG_5233.JPG
    Hey! Seeing this insert makes me ask a question about a piece pretty darn similar (insert and base, burner marked Manhattan Brass) I have that I can't identify. Around the fill ring is marked a pat, date of 1873, I think it reads, and some other illegible marks. Wondering if ANYBODY might be able to help me with some information about it. The base made by M.B. also or? Would this have had a shade and if so how would it attach? Etc. Any help would be appreciated!!!

20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted