Featured Oil Lamp Cruise - Ladybranch, we miss you!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by scoutshouse, Nov 30, 2018.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It's been said that Ladybranch was an expert in oil lamps, so here's hoping someone else can shed light on what she's missed for :(

Are there any features that stand out on this particular lamp that make it more or less desirable? It's unsigned, has original patina - including burnt oil and grink - and just generally kind of pretty (in my eyes).

Thanks for any help out there :)

LAU_Cruisie Betty Oil Lamp-1.jpg LAU_Cruisie Betty Oil Lamp-4.jpg LAU_Cruisie Betty Oil Lamp-9.jpg LAU_Cruisie Betty Oil Lamp-5.jpg LAU_Cruisie Betty Oil Lamp-13.jpg LAU_Cruisie Betty Oil Lamp-12.jpg LAU_Cruisie Betty Oil Lamp-10.jpg

Attached Files:

2. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

In Scotland, we always knew them as whale oil lamps. Don't know if they are known by any other name elsewhere. Could get good money for them 20 years ago, but don't know the market now.

Figtree3, Fid, anundverkaufen and 3 others like this.
  3. scoutshouse

Here's a 411 on some early lighting history, @i need help

More out there, but it at least explains the difference between Cruisie and Betty Lamps :)

Wow! Life is just so much better ever since I learned you could drag and drop images!!!!

Screenshot 2018-11-30 12.01.05.png

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

The article dredged up the name "crusie" from the past. I had completely forgotten that name. I think we still have a couple of them in our hoard.

scoutshouse and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice !!!!

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. scoutshouse

The initials “JB” are impressed on the top inside of the handle.

Thanks for the link, @i need help
    The prices have dropped on these, by quite a lot. They're just not that novel, anymore - if a collector was really interested, you'd think this marked set would have been purchased.

I used to be such a good speller :) :(

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

I was overjoyed to find these sticking tommys while downsizing my storage space - they belonged to my Grand Daddy Lee during his prospecting/mining days.

I thought they were long gone. Thought once to be rare - especially a pair - not so much these days!

[​IMG]

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

These days...to be Rare....you gotta be REALLY RARE !!!!!

& not the oft heard moan here.....I can't find it on Google......:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:...:meh:

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted