Oil on Board - No Signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Here's an oil on board, about 40 X 50 CM. It's an interesting piece - the setting looks like it might be New Mexico, perhaps Santa Fe?

I like the colors, but the perspective in parts of the work seem a little out of whack. Especially the building on the left, and the gate for the fence on the right in front of the other building. Not sure if that is on purpose, or a sign of the artists lack of skill.

The back of the frame has part of the framing company's name printed, I believe it is "Toronto House of Picture Frames". The canvas board has "C. R. Crowley, 1387 St. Catherine St." printed on the back. This was an art supply company operating in Montreal at this street address from at least the early 1940's until approximately 1973. They were in business before and after those dates, but were at different addresses.

Anyone want to give me their opinion of the location of the painting, and whether you think it might be an amateur work or not?

Oil Painting 1.jpg Oil Painting 2.jpg

samuelcaulfield1 likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I really like it . Just some thoughts...I think maybe 1930ish ,I see some Van Gogh (in the clouds) and some Grant Wood influences.

Roaring20s and sabre123 like this.
  3. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Thanks johnnycb09. I like it too. I can see the influences you mentioned. I think it has a touch of surrealism with a bit of a dreamlike quality to it also.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted