Featured Oil Painting on glass framed Scene of Medical Healer XIX th ??? Unsigned

Discussion in 'Art' started by BTZ64, Jan 21, 2020.

?

Is this an european painting

1. Irish english spanish

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. XIX or XX th cent??

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Bought this painting which I thought was painted on Panel or Cardboard.Glass was dirty inside so decided to open and clean glass.Once opened discovered the painting had been made on glass.Don't want to deteriorate this rare subject painting from XIX th Cent I think..unsigned.
    The subject scene is quite original..Looks like a patient being taken care by a Healer.
    Personages are quite weird and scary.
    Anybody can have an idea on this painting..?? Irish..Spanish..English..??
    Size are 31x38 cm with frame and 22x28cm the painted glass.
    Thanks for your responses and advises
    jb

Attached Files:

• tb3.jpg
      tb3.jpg
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
    • tb1.jpg
      tb1.jpg
      File size:
      203.2 KB
      Views:
    • tb2.jpg
      tb2.jpg
      File size:
      199.1 KB
      Views:
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Is there a signature?

3. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Am scared to clean the painting as it is on glass..But can't see any as it is..Thanks for your message.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Don't know when it was painted, but the scene was likely earlier than either of the centuries you've given us to choose from. Before medical training became widespread, the "doctor" for the average person was the town barber - and the man we are thinking is the "healer" in this picture is probably just that. Looks like he is sewing up a wound. I can't really tell where this scene took place.

Any Jewelry, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I've been trying to do some research for you and see that a few come up as Oil Paintings on glass. Perhaps using reverse glass painting might help.

Darkwing Manor, judy and kyratango like this.
  6. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Big Thanks

judy and kyratango like this.
  7. Bakersgma

I don't see any glass and cannot figure out how you could photograph it without some evidence of glass in the picture. Was it painted from the back? Can you take a picture of it from the back?

8. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi again...9H30 pm here..Difficult to make photos with lamp light..Anyway..Have again open this Framed painting...to show you that initially the painting has been made on the back of the glass then recovered with a black substance..Painting or tar I dont know..But the 3rd photo shows you how fragile is this painting as this black texture flakes out easily..As well the thickness of the glass is not the same all around...Dont want to try cleaning it more..Scare the painting will go...Pls reply and tell me what you think...?? Thanks..My english is not 100% but understand quite well...JB

Attached Files:

• pt3.jpg
      pt3.jpg
      File size:
      678.4 KB
      Views:
    • pt1.jpg
      pt1.jpg
      File size:
      695.3 KB
      Views:
    • pt2.jpg
      pt2.jpg
      File size:
      828.5 KB
      Views:
    • pt3.jpg
      pt3.jpg
      File size:
      678.4 KB
      Views:
    judy and kyratango like this.
  9. Bakersgma

I get it now! And your English is fine, Jacques! Thanks for the new pictures.

10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Bienvenue Jacques:)
    Peint sous verre est le terme.
    No further cleaning of the back :nailbiting: it will come apart!

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Merci...I have just noticed it few minutes ago...So fragile...But don't have any clue on Period painting Artist Origine etc..If you could help..Thanks jb

judy likes this.
  12. kyratango

Provincial/countryside, end of19th century for me. The healer seems to be wearing a blue béret basque:cyclops: if it is... Not far from your location for the origin of the painting;)

13. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Ca Alors....!!! Never noticed and thought about this before...And I am from the basque country...Just to let you know..The origine of the Basque Beret comes from the Bearn region originally...Country region of Henri the IV....But bought this painting in Sligo Ireland...Thanks for the response...Might have a chance in auction if I decide to sell it in Biarritz or Bayonne Auctionneers....

Any Jewelry, judy and kyratango like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well what you have there is a L to R copy on glass of a well-known 17thc Dutch old master painting by Adriaen Brouwer, "The Back Operation", aka "the surgeon".

The original is in a museum in Frankfurt.

15. KikoBlueEyes

Thus the lack of signature?

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  16. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Just went to check on the web....Yes you are so right and helpful ...Big thanks to you for learning and being aware of what is what...I suppose that L and R mean Late or Recent Copy..?? It is good and helpful to learn with people who knows more ....Hope that some of my collection is not only Fakes...Will look forward later for your good and professional assistance reg some other objects I own....Particulary in paintings and drawings....It is late here in Ireland...Merci encore et a Bientot...JB

David Madacsi, judy, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Iouri, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

19. kyratango

Jacques's painting, full size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i need help likes this.
  20. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Draft saved Draft deleted