Oil *signed* Douglas~artist, or place name?

Discussion in 'Art' started by BoudiccaJones, Nov 29, 2017.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hi all

I've had this forever. It's better than *I* could do but I think that's the best I can say about it. And it hangs in a nice place. I do like it ( depsite it being yellow ) :eek:

Anyway, only now have I become curious. I think the Douglas on it is the place, not the artists name?
    Here is a pic of Douglas Castle on the isle of Man...now this is using quite a lot of poetic licence, I am not sure if is here or not?
    [​IMG]

The picture is approx 45 cms by 31cms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks for looking ... GOOD LORD look at those webs :eek: :eek:

(Not sure if I had this pic up there or not,adding just in case x)
    [​IMG]

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its a sunday painter,but the important thing is YOU like it. :)

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  3. BoudiccaJones

Oh goodness, yes I concur completely xx

I just wondered if it's a rendition (... polite) of Douglas in the isle of Man or if the ahem *artist * ( it's better than anything I could do at least) signed it and Douglas is his/her name?
    Looks a bit like this which in a place called Douglas?
    [​IMG]

4. BoudiccaJones

Well it doesn't really look like it,now I've looked more...I am only curious anyway, just wondering xx

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Douglas is most likely the painter and not the place.
    The yellow is most likely from smoke.
    It can be cleaned. Some have done it themselves, others pay to have it done. Or just leave it, if it doesn't bother you.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you decide to try cleaning it yourself, be sure to read up on how to clean an oil painting.

7. BoudiccaJones

Thank you xxx
    It does need cleaning...it won't be,though, I have no idea how to do it and despite it not being excellent, I am attached to it now and would hate anything to happen to it. And I am far too tight to pay someone to do it for me...I'll use the cash instead of cleaning to buy more ahem cough *treasures* home...I have literally a house full of Stuffs and really, do not need more BUT I MUST. I HAVE TO.

It doesn't look like Douglas the place now I've properly looked, I tend to agree.

I have another one signed *Holland* and this time, I am certain it's the painter and not the place!
    Many thanks x x x

8. BoudiccaJones

I shan't touch it, I'll leave well alone. And who knows what horrors are beneath that yellowing! :D x

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a fairly distinctive scene -- a tower castle and church -- on what's possibly a Scottish firth. You may be able to identify. But, if not, still has Sunday painter charm.

Debora

Christmasjoy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  10. BoudiccaJones

It does look a bit like The Isle of Man but don't think it's that now...does look Scottish. I was curious,thanks all for the replies x x

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It may be a fantasy. I found this image by googling "Scottish Coastal Ruins" and looking at Images. It looks like the same coastal configuration. Maybe it's Irish and not Scottish.

images2U7WGI49.jpg

Christmasjoy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

I've seen a few pics that look v.similiar but not identical...it's not near me anyway, I live in Hereford and the closest sea is...well, actually I don't know but must be miles away x x

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted