Ok - Open Salts Overload - can I ask for help on 9 (out of >250??)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Jul 6, 2015.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Exhausted from this - antiques of this nature are not my forte. I got through most, but some I had questions on... Not really sure what's the best way upload 2 images with short descriptions for each on one thread?

Here are four, anyhoo: really hope that's ok - just need something specific on each so I can look up comps - I'll just upload these and take a break.

1. Boot: clear with Trade Mark H over T (or T over H) backwards on heel
    Salts-7.jpg
    Salts-8.jpg
    2. Cobalt Flint Glass 1840 - I was quoted $300 (conservatively) but can't find comps for that statement... was told condition was not an issue bc of age
    Salts-9.jpg
    Salts-10.jpg

3. Clear basket with lumpy interior and granulated exterior with curved handles and polished bottom
    Salts-2.jpg
    Salts-3.jpg

4. Larger cool green something-something with marbled Lustre (is it even a salt?)
    Salts-4.jpg
    Salts-5.jpg

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The boot is a candy container

The cobalt is 20th century - likely Hong Kong

The lump I don't know

The last looks like cheap MIJ ashtray

KingofThings likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

Thanks, Terry -

(FYI, anyone who responds - my ?s aren't debating, I'm genuinely curious)

Age and/or maker on candy?
    Cobalt sounds like flint to me - why do you say 20th C?
    What's MIJ?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Made in Japan......& I can still see what looks like tar marks on the indentations...

KingofThings likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

tar marks?
    O - lol - I looked up "tar marks"
    No, was some silver guilding that has worn off.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. scoutshouse

Stuff I thought was junk was Elfinware - so I just never know. Better to ask.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That don't look like silver.........but if you say so.....you have it in your hands...

KingofThings likes this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I guess the boot is a Fenton interpretation of a vase

The two part mold for items like the cup didn't come in to use until after 1900

KingofThings likes this.
  9. scoutshouse

it's worn off the handles, as well...

Terry: you have good eyes!

On http://www.patternglass.com/Ask/Granny.htm I read "EAPG was made in 2, 3, & 4 section molds. "Three mold" is meaningless in determining the age of glass."

She doesn't give details on which mold started when, though.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

#1 Boot - The H underlined used to be on Butchiedog's glass mark page. But link doesn't seem to go the page anymore.

Does anyone know how to search for archived sites?

#3 - Can be described as overshot glass.

#4 - Is European not Japan as evidenced by the numbers. Lustreware is generally early 1900s to pre WWI. (There are exceptions).
    My guess would be German or Austrian.

I doubt it is a salt, possibly a toothpick, or may have had stuffing with covered velvet for pins or needles. Those are only guesses.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the boot is a Herman Tappan vase. Does the inscription around the top of the boot read 'Sollers Fine Shoes' with the patent date? The number of mold marks isn't an indication of age as mold requirements were dependent upon the complexity of design.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Tappan's 1886 design patent for a glass shoe 'Bouquet Holder' is #D17023.

#2 looks like Bryce's 'French' pattern, though I've not seen it in cobalt - can't recall seeing this salt in a modern repro, and personally see no reason that this one wouldn't be 19th century (small items, in particular were done in 2-part molds).

#3 looks to me like maybe mid 20th century European art glass, will have to look through some books...

#4 is not a salt, maybe a vase, or as suggested, a toothpick or pincushion, would also guess German.

~Cheryl

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

#2 - 6 sided cobalt plain fluted may be pictured in Heacock & Johnson's 5,000 Open Salts, A Collector's Guide, p. 49, fig. 657. I'm not 100% sure they are the same without seening the top of yours and knowing the height of yours. The sides and pedestal look the same, but the 6 sided salts have different tops. Anyways, the authors give the following description:

P. 115
    "657 - Pedestalled, six sided master, origin unknown, circa 1880-85, 2 1/8" high."

--- Susan

image.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  14. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

that's another Tappan patent for a similar vase.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The blue one is right as rain, circa 1840. Size? Coulda been made anywhere from New England (Sandwich, Cambridge) to Pittsburgh/Midwest/Ohio.

Though not a rare form BLUE is always good. Couple hundred in this color wouldn't surprise me one bit. A smattering of light....chipping....flea bites(?) are quite acceptable with the age, though less roughness is always better. I will find a piece of this age suspect if undamaged in any way. This general form came into use around 1840 and continued right up to the Civil War at least. Does this have a polished pontil? If not it is probably later,circa 1860 or so. 1880-85 seems a little late to me.

BTW Size matters. I'm SEEING a MASTER salt. If it's an individual all bets are off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    trip98 likes this.
  16. scoutshouse

Thanks TallCakes

#1. For lack of a comparable, I don't know whether the Bouquet Holder is repro, or not... I couldn't find one without the base, the inscription on top reads: PATENTED.DEC.1886 with backward N, and has 12 lace lines, not 9.

#2. The person who identified it as flint said he hadn't seen a cobalt, either. Maybe that's why he estimated such a high $$? I haven't seen comp on this, either - yet. 20150707_082112.jpg 20150707_082057.jpg

#3. I think is pressed - very difficult to photograph, but the interior is quilted

#4. A toy vase?

17. scoutshouse

Skeezix - He also said salts were not individual that early - it is two inches tall and close to four inches wide, corner to corner...

Not sure what you mean by pontil? the bottom is concave and shows a concentric ripple. Edge is very worn, but was polished at one time. :)

18. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Try to get a clear, close shot of the base. The characteristics of the base are probably the best way to date these but trying to discern certain details can be very difficult via photos on the net.

19. scoutshouse

20. scoutshouse

Net weight = approx. 30lb
    plus 8lbs of random cobalt liners looking for holders

Salts Full_.jpg

gregsglass and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted