Featured Old 1800s Gold Guilded Side Photograph Book

Discussion in 'Books' started by kev235, Aug 30, 2018.

1. kev235

kev235 Member

2BD3988C-5520-43A2-803E-CB98BBD26DBA.jpeg 1C1EFD1A-E3C6-4490-A187-98EB00EA8D15.jpeg 08D05756-031B-47CD-8621-98D5C2D6CFB4.jpeg 35CEC98E-8869-430E-A330-3C46952B12C8.jpeg D8D99899-D299-487D-8150-24F5FA7EB28E.jpeg Hello. I believe this is from the 1800s. It is quite heavy and the metal clips are actually metal and have gold builder side. Filled full with 19 black and white photos.

What do you think is the age and value of this book? It does have some rips. Thank you

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The album itself isn't worth much. The images inside are what will determine value. I'd say 1870-80's.

3. kev235

kev235 Member

Thank you. The album itself is quite nice with hard casing and gold guilding. Do you think this and the 19 of the 19th Century photos would be worth something? Thanks

4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

As just a general photo book filled with nondescript photos, 40-60. If some of the photos are interesting (war related, occupational, famous people or locations) you could double/triple the price or more.

You'll probably want to look up some of the names to learn a bit about the family history.

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Judging by the clothing in the photographs, I think they are 1860s - Civil War era. The album may be somewhat later. Are they albumen prints (on paper), or tintypes?

6. kev235

kev235 Member

They are on thick paper . Does it being of the civil war era increase its value, there are 19 of these photos. Thanks

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The back stamp that is shown in one picture is later. They didn't really get fancy like that in the early 1860's at least. Could be a wide variety of dates in an album like that really.

Again, the photos are going to be worth something based on subject matter or if you find more than one person interested in the family or families represented. No ones going to be able to tell you a dollar amount without actually seeing what you have.

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

They are probably albumen prints. The photographic paper itself is very thin, and it was then mounted on a heavier card stock. I don't know about value. There are tons of albumen prints from that era. Unless the subjects are known, or otherwise of interest or rare, the age probably does not enhance the value.
    btw they are called albumen prints because the light sensitive chemicals were suspended in a solution of egg whites (albumen).
    The binding on the album looks like book bindings from the mid 1870s or thereabouts.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Perhaps google the name of photographer and see if you can find a business operating date.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

This is in the Book forum, so will tag @Figtree3, regarding photos.

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The one with the dark brown back and gold print is from the 1880s, or very close. That color combo was very popular in the 1880s and not really seen before then.
    See info about the photographer here (https://www.langdonroad.com/ta-to-ti):
    TAYLOR, JOHN W.

Taylor, John W., photographer, 83 E Main, house do.-See page 655, Rochester, NY (1879) City Directory; ad: John W. Taylor, photographer. 83 amnd 85 E Main St. - Crystal Palace Block, over Gordon's Dry Good House, Rochester, NY. "Pictures in Water colors and India Ink and Enlarged to all sizes”; J. W. Taylor’s Photograph Parlors, Over 83 and 85 Main St. - Crystal Palace Block, Rochester, NY (1870s-1880s) *cdv image, jpg in gallery

Old photo albums often have pictures that could span decades, just as many family photo albums do now.

You don't mention whether all the photos are the same size or not, nor what size they are. Some of the ones you are showing look like earlier carte de visite photos from possibly as early as the 1860s.

Thanks for tagging me, @i need help . I was already writing this! I happen to know that Kronos is very knowledgeable about photos, and am learning that 2manybooks is also! Both of them are correct that an interesting subject will often help a more common album to increase in value. If the other photos are similar to the few that we see, I think identifying the people (and also the photographers, perhaps) might help in any sales.

13. Figtree3

14. kev235

kev235 Member

The photos are about 1.5 inches to 2 inch squares or rectangles all about that size.I understand now that photo values depend on its subject. I see different names.

Thanks

15. kev235

kev235 Member

Thank you all for the valuable information! I understand now that the book is from the late nineteenth c. But the photos may span earlier.

Thank you

16. Figtree3

Sounds like carte de visite size, then. Those generally date, in the U.S., from the 1860s until about the mid 1880s -- see info here: http://www.phototree.com/id_cdv.htm

17. kev235

kev235 Member

18. clutteredcloset49

All I could see was NY. Couldn't see the Rochester. And to tell the truth even after you pointed it out, I still can't see it.

Oh well, the Crystal Palace info was interesting anyway.

19. clutteredcloset49

Deleted.
    Just realized I missed a post by Fig and gave the same information.
    Sorry

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Christmasjoy, Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a bit blurred, so it looks like Rochestep now. But no doubt with Figs Russian skills, and Rochester being Rochester, the p was translated to an r in her astute mind.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted