Featured Old African American Painting

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, Nov 30, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

k5I8pe30FpttM55i5hK4TA.jpg uczVN7kxvb3AaFPcFXp2pA.jpg PF_gfq0pV1plUtxOjw2hdw.jpg I bought this from a Goodwill store about 13 or 14 years,never cleaned it,the artist name appear to be French,look like "Paco De Cardenas" very large,heavy rag like canvas,just don't know enough about it.Anybody has any information ot know this artist.I tried on other forum and got nothing.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know about the painting, but 'Paco de Cardenas' is Spanish, not French.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the figure is carrying a shield and spear, don't think he's meant to be African-American.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. antiquelover69

Yes that's me alright lolol,I've searched on different forum for years,still searching.Just throught I would put some on this forum,maybe someone can help.

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Admire the fact you keep searching for information but not sure if there's anything left to learn. May I ask what state the Goodwill was where you found it?

Debora

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Don’t know if it will help here, but you did mention M.H. Winston on the frame, in your other posts. Maybe show a photo of that, too.

judy, Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
  9. antiquelover69

Debora Goodwill in Millington Tenn

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think you could get closer to the origin of the person portrayed if you looked at the style of his spear and shield. It is certainly African, not African-American. My guess is Kenya, but @komokwa and @2manybooks may be able to tell you more.

As for Paco de Cardenas, yes, it is Spanish. I can only find a Paco Cardenas, without 'de', as a chef who teaches cooking classes.:D
    Paco is short for Francisco, maybe that helps.

antiquelover69, i need help and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    antiquelover69 and i need help like this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

13. antiquelover69

Thanks you all! Any Jewelry I also collect a lot of older African and African American pieces,prints,paintings,banks,pottery.This painting I know nothing about.My other items I learned about over the years,some from when I was a little girl raised in Ark.I have so many pieces I have to have my own room lololo.Hubby don't collect anything lolol.Thanks for the information I never throught to look at the spear.

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I also collect too much for my own good. To compensate, my husband designs loudspeaker systems, and his sound and design equipment takes up much more space than my collections.:)
    Just a bit of info to get some grasp on what the painting is. I hope.

antiquelover69 likes this.
  15. antiquelover69

I'm still learning about this forum,do I hit like when I like comments

i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Yes, :) (if you’d like)

Debora and antiquelover69 like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to Family Search, there was a M.H. Winston in Memphis (b. 1921 or 1922.) He could possibly be previous owner. Would you post a photograph of his name on back? That would help with dating.

Debora

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  18. antiquelover69

Ok I'll have to take off my wall,it's a large painting

i need help likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Careful! Don't hurt yourself (or the painting!)

Debora

antiquelover69 and i need help like this.
  20. antiquelover69

ok,I'll be extra careful,thanks

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted