Old American folk art painted pine wall cabinet/shelf...Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cartoongirl, Jun 19, 2014.

1. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

Hi there! This is my friend's flea market find from last Sunday. He is an assemblage artist and uses printer's boxes, shelves, and such for his works.

It measure 24" across, and about 22" high. There is some hardware on the top edge of the opening (didn't get a pic), but it looked newer to me so I don't know if this was meant to have a door. No hardware or holes on either side of the opening.

What we found interesting was the width of the pine boards...about a foot wide. Also, the carving of the bead board goes all the way to the top...someone really put their heart into this. There are some newer screws, but the old square nails are there, too.

I was thinking Pennsylvania because of a similar looking folk art piece on 1st Dibs...I don't remember what it was now.

It is missing a piece on the side, and there are 3 missing dowels on the railing.

wear to the black paint, but what's left is stable.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0497.JPG Thanks!

2. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Don't know nuttin' but I sure like it!

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Great display shelf, although I'd repaint it.

4. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Perfect for this spot in my kitchen. Perfect color, too.

5. cartoongirl

Ha! the paint looks a lot better in person.

kentworld likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There are so many pieces of wood that I grew up with. The grooved piece next to the arrow is screen door molding.I have cut and replaced so many pieces of that stuff. I still think it is made today just thinner and not as strong.
    Have to show you the first piece I made when I was six. Thanks for jogging the old grey cells.
    greg

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think late 19th century with the screws added later. No one is doing this kind of incised line detailing on new stuff, not to mention the fairly complex band saw work. While the paint might be quite a bit newer, I would leave it as-is. A coat of paste wax would spruce this up quite a bit. Unfortunately, most of today's buyers will not be buying this because it is old but, rather, because it is shabby chic. I doubt you will be able to command much of a premium over a brand new item made to look old.

8. cartoongirl

@ gregsglass....I'm sure everyone would love to see your wood working projects!

@verybrad....yes, I was thinking late 19th century...thank you for confirming that. I will tell my friend to give it a wax.

My friend is a collector (not a hoarder...he's so organized I am insanely jealous), so he will be happy to keep the piece. I love it, too. I know what you mean about new stuff...for $25 he got a wonderful old piece with history.

Thanks to everyone!

9. kentworld

I'm somewhere between a collector and a hoarder, that is to say, I've collected a lot of stuff, but it's not very well organized, and much of it is just put away -- what would you call that? Collder? Hoartor? ;)

10. gregsglass

Hi Wendy,
    That make you one of us a Hunter Gatherer.
    greg

Pat P likes this.
  11. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'm more of a hunter seller.;) (as I look about at every shelf and open flat spot covered with this, that, and the other rare and desirable treasure.....errrr....ummmm....olde junque.)

Pat P likes this.
  12. kentworld

That make you one of us a Hunter Gatherer.
    greg

Thanks, Greg. However, I'm going use an outdated term -- I'll call myself a "Huntress Gatherer." ;)

I'm more of a hunter seller.
    DH heartily wishes I were much more of a hunter seller!

13. gregsglass

Hi Skeezix,
    Please do not forgot to check the ground under the tables at the fleas. I saw a Fostoria American 18" punch bowl on the ground upside down under a table in the mud. I pulled it out and started to "quake" and could hardly ask how much, the guy said 10 bucks, I threw the money on the table and started to walk away quickly real quickly His wife started yelling for me to stop. Damn, I thought she knows what it really is. I walked back and she said "Don't you want the cups?". I have sold many a piece of American but that punch bowl still sits on my dining room table.
    greg

Pat P, kentworld and tie.dye.cat like this.
  14. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Love your story Greg! You probably had some beads of sweat forming above your brow when she started yelling after you!

Draft saved Draft deleted