Old/antique ? silver cigarette box. Who? When? Where?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Nov 5, 2018.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

This sat on my Grandmother's end table for at leas It feels like t 50 years. I haven't found anything about the etched marks. Silver or sterling? Maker? Thanks for taking a look and your help. Patd

Side 1.jpg Side 3.jpg In 1.jpg Bot 1.jpg Mark 1.jpg Mark 2.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Unfortunately those letters and numbers appear to have been done with one of those "engraving pens" (think Dremel or Dremel-like) that many people use to identify their household goods for recovery/insurance in case of theft. A lot of things were marked with the owner's SSN, though that method has gone out of favor (for good reason!) This must be some other form of inventory record, because it certainly does not mean anything in silver marking.

Boxes and cases are often marked somewhere on the flanges of the top or base, so I'd suggest looking all over those parts with a strong loupe in bright light. The bad thing about marking there is the inevitable wear that will eradicate marks over time.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Could also be a jewelers repair mark.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

more likely an antique dealers inventory number.....

if my jeweler ever scratched up one of my items like that.....I'd wail on him ! :punch:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like it was buffed to within an inch of it's life...............
    that could take off marks..

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it ever had any - some American makers never bothered.

7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

To take the last picture was a real challenge. It is on the inside of the front top cover. Some of the lettering looks 'different'. It may have been put there when the item was being made.
    There is nothing I can find on the little edges.
    Yes, all of Grandmother's silver that was 'out' was cleaned weekly, as it would have been in a proper household of the age.
    Patd

Draft saved Draft deleted