Featured Old Atlantic Coast Line R.R Co. And Seaboard Air Line Railway maps.

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Armando0831, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey everyone. Hope you're enjoying your evening.

Anyways, while at work today I stumbled upon some old maps that were tucked away. I asked my supervisor if I could possibly have them and he said I could take as many as I liked. I didn't hesitate one second. While pulling some of the maps out, I was seeing dates in the years of 1916 etc. some of these maps state in the lower left corner "Imperial Tracing Cloth". I did some quick research I found out that it's ink on tracing cloth. I couldn't understand why there was so much blue ink all over some of these. Some of these maps are referencing to right always for the rail road, proposed tracks, land ownership, deeds, etc. since I work for a railroad company, I find these all interesting. There are also diagrams for bridge building, lighting etc. In some of the legends for land ownership, I'm finding dates back to the mid 1800s. Overall, I must have around 100 or so of these maps.

These are just a few pictures. These maps are very large to get really good pictures. Some of the words are typed, while others are hand written.

There's also schematics for the signal houses and other electrical devices back then. Some of the streets in Savannah are labeled as dirt roads or cobled streets.

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Interesting assortment of items. I see that there is a museum in Wilmington NC that has an "emphasis" (my word) on the old Atlantic Coast Line RR. Here's the link --

http://www.wilmingtonrailroadmuseum.org/content/briefhistory.php

Whoa doggies, I've stopped at more than a few Atlantic Coast Line RR tracks in my lifetime in my state while heading to the ocean/beach. :happy:

Armando0831 likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The museum site is a good find - as are the maps/charts! I like looking at things like that.

Armando0831 likes this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I love maps and architechtural drawings.

Armando0831 likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cool find, Armando! Good for you to save them from the landfill.

Armando0831 likes this.
  6. Armando0831

I've found some interesting names on some of the maps. There's Mary Telfair, Telfair Hospital for Women which is now St. Joseph's Candler Hospital. Seeing references to telegraph lines along the tracks and Bell Tele. I'm still looking through these.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,
    Great find and save. museum would be good place then everyone could see them. Railroadians would like them but they do not have deep pockets either.
    greg

Armando0831 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Take all of the Maps that you can have. Ebay is a good place to sell them.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& right under your nose.....good for you Joe !!!!

Armando0831 likes this.
  10. Armando0831

I couldn't imagine these being in a landfill but you're correct, they would of ended up there.

11. Armando0831

image.jpg
    I believe that I grabbed all of them.

12. Armando0831

I thought about notifying a museum about them. These are great insights on how different the towns, especially Savannah, has changed since those times.

13. Armando0831

Who would of thunk that these were just sitting there and collecting dust. I would love to see every single one of these framed.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm officially drooling. As a railfan's kid, I don't see old paper; I see gold. The local historical society would be a good place for those and there must be a good on in Savannah. Get an approximate value on those and you could be looking at a major tax deduction if you donate them.

15. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

If there is anything else that pertains to the ACL RR, grab them right up. Maybe you can sell them to the Museum. Don't give them away. I worked on a US Steel Rail Road for almost 40 yrs. When the RR folded up, most of the Maps and other paper work went into the Dumpster. The management did not allow anybody to take anything. Of course, any nice items that were related to the RR, they took them home. Lanterns, Flags, Brass Bells, Brass Steam Whistles, Back-up Whistles and ETC.

Armando0831 and cxgirl like this.
  16. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg While going through these, I just found an uncut roll of maps from 1959 for ACL RR. There must be at least 30 or so uncut maps in this roll.

17. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Super duper archival cache.
    This has value in SOOOO many ways.
    It is a great thing you saved 'em.

Armando0831 likes this.
  18. Armando0831

Thank you. I was searching the net last night and I'm shocked at how many people are into collecting this kind of stuff. I read where individuals were sketching whatever maps they could find, on the internet, down on paper. Collectors are looking for references with exact numbers, locations etc. man, they would love these then. These have street lights, asbestos pipes, etc. it's crazy with all the detail these have.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  19. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Rail Road Items are very Hot. Always have been.

20. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Armando, in the first two maps you pictured when you started this thread (Right-of-Way and Track Map) both dated June 30, 1917, but each with different "station numbers," they both show at the bottom "Office of Valuation Engineer Wilmington, NC."

The third Right-of-Way and Track Map" which is dated February 25, 1959, shows a change of name for the person/group preparing the map to "Office of Chief Engineer Wilmington, NC."

I think both Wilmington (railroad museum) and Savannah (historical society) may be interested in what you have, not to mention all of the individual railroad collectors. You may have enough interesting material to whet the purchasing appetite of all and satisfy most of them. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted