Old Bible

Discussion in 'Books' started by Tahmoor girl, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

G'day,

This is a very very old Bible that my Grandfather (who died about 30 years ago) had, and was handed down to us. He kept it in a cupboard draw and probably never read a word.
    On the inside front cover is written: 'The notes in this Bible were put in in the seventies of the last century W.A. Mayers 20-8- 1911

What should I do with it?

Tahmoor girl
    IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

2. Tahmoor girl

3. Tahmoor girl

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm afraid family bibles typically don't have much value beyond sentimental or genealogical. The reason is, of course, there are a lot of them out there. Is there someone in your extended family who would value it and ensure it's passed down to the next generation?

Debora

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What is the nature of the notes from the 1870s?

Figtree3 and Debora like this.
  6. Tahmoor girl

It's not a "family Bible". I don't know how or where my grandparent got it. Neither of them were religious. I just remember it as "the 100 year old Bible in Pop's cupboard ".

7. Tahmoor girl

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, then I can see why you wouldn't want to keep it. I hate to say it but... the very best thing to do, if the notes provide family information, would be find a descendent of W.A. Mayers (if he had any) and return it. Of course, that could entail time and effort and not everyone has to spare. (That said you do have an old address to start from.) You could also offer it to a local historical group or genealogical society to see if they had any interest.

Debora

IMG_0447.jpg

9. Tahmoor girl

Reading through the notes tells me they were written by a clergyman because he studied the entire Bible and the Preface says:

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Tahmoor girl

The Hebrew word SHILO:

Attached Files:

FishLure and Bronwen like this.
  11. Tahmoor girl

Samuel 8:

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think this note is about Jonathan. So the notes are all his personal commentary on the text. Someone deep into the study of the Bible might be interested, but the appeal of this volume is going to be very limited.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So not family notes then.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Tahmoor girl

No. It's more like the text was translated.
    I just asked my father, (who's only interested in the television), where his father got that old Bible. He said that he thinks it was given by a relative. Then I showed it to him and he said "Oh, I remember a small one.". I have a small old one too, but that one was my mothers.

I've been reading the words, and notice that the word 'Jehovah' appears in the notes where it doesn't in the printed text. I'm now going to research when English Bibles were released in the 19th century. Just because the notes were written in the 1870s, doesn't mean this Bible was published in the 1870s.

I'm being careful to keep it in tact, even leaving the little bookmarks in place. It's not in excellent condition, but all the pages are there.

If it was used in a translation, how did it end up in Australia?

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The text was translated or interpreted? Your volume should be easy to research The company moved their warehouses to different address in those cities in the 2nd half of the 19th century. If you volume doesn't have a publication date, you should be able to get a publication date with a bit of internet research.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Tahmoor girl

Yes the text seems to be a translators work with ancient Hebrew meanings of words mixed in.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  17. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

Your Bible was most probably printed between 1875 and the mid 1880s. The names George Edward Eyre & William Spottiswoode appear as printers from 1875, prior to that date the printers were George Edward Eyre & Andrew Spottiswoode (father of William), William died in 1883. There are a lot of Eyre & Spottiswoode bibles of varying ages currently on Ebay.

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. Did some quick internet research myself and that was my finding.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Tahmoor girl

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's not your edition. Different publisher (American Bible Society, New York) and different binding.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted