Old Blue & White Trentham Pottery - does anyone know where there is info about this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bazlan, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Bazlan

Bazlan New Member

Hello everyone,

I would like to find out more about very old blue and white Trentham pottery.

Does anyone know where there is some information on this "mark" brand?

I have looked on the internet and also on Amazon for books but nothing comes up. I can only find info on Trentham Fine Bone China from the 1950s.

I have an old very large blue and white earthenware serving platter with Trentham stamped on the back with an "indent" stamp also on the back.

Any help and knowledge would be appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. Bazlan

Bazlan New Member

These are the marks x2 on the reverse.

3. daniel 5

daniel 5 New Member

This looks like Trentham pottery to me. From the 50s.Are you thinking it is something else? I had a full plate set extremely similar design to yours. It was one of the first things i bought. What do you need to know about it? If its value then if its Trentham from the 50s i wouldn't imagine much. I think i sold the full set for about £40 and i was sat on it for ages.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here is an example of the same pattern with a little more of a mark. Can't quite make out the registration number though or the initials.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/trentham-porcelain-flow-blue-platter-+-covered

upload_2017-7-23_19-18-53.png

This one says it's by C&P with reg Rd No 252417 and also impressed with the Rd No 276961.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/trentham-blue-transferware-england-1890-semi

This says that C&P was used by Carr & Patton however the dates they list for the factory wouldn't line up with this type of registration number. I'll go see if I can find my book with names for the numbers.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/c/index.html

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

Sorry my book was no help with the reg numbers. If those numbers the seller listed are correct they would be for the years 1895 and 1896 and my book ends in 1883. Someone else may be able to help more. I only found a few examples in my look online (one being this one) but not much help with the maker.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My book says the seller is correct on the dates for those Rd numbers.

7. Bakersgma

So Trentham in this case is the pattern name, right?

8. say_it_slowly

So do you have a book showing this pattern or maker or one of those registration numbers?

I can't make out the number in the photo but it could be 276961 which a different seller says that's what theirs says (but no photo). The problem I have with the C&P shown in the Potteries list is that Carr & Patton is much too early.

9. say_it_slowly

Oh goodness, that reads a little snarky:( So sorry I didn't mean it that way. I'm just striking out on much helpful info.

10. Bakersgma

Sorry, my book only shows the starting number for each year.

Hey, I don't blame you on the frustration front. The Worthpoint listing doesn't have a picture of the mark - so it's impossible to judge whether the assertion that the mark is C & P is truthful or mistaken.

The pattern looks right and at least the one number in the picture is the one starting with 276 (upside down.) But, as you say, the Potteries mark table shows them much earlier than the RD No would suggest. What a puzzlement!

11. Bazlan

Bazlan New Member

Thank you all very much for sharing your know ledge. I find it exciting that I have something that is over 100 years old and has so e history behind it. I wonder who owned it first! Say-it-slowly thank you for uploading the pictures. Bakersgma your book sounds excellent, it must be very interesting to look through. Thank you all again, I really appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted