Old Bourbon Bottles- Whiskey Collections

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Ted Balcone, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Ted Balcone

Ted Balcone New Member

I am a collector in search of old Bourbon Bottles or whiskey collections. I am searching for unopened bottles, and no bottle is overlooked.

The saying- "they don't make it like they used to"- applies to bourbon too. Some of the best bourbon to drink, was made in the 1950's- 1970's.

However, I also look and buy recent releases as well.

***One of the major ones I am looking for are the gallon Old Grandad and Old Fitzgerald on a swing **

Some examples - but not limited to :

-- Very Old Fitzgerald
    - Cabin Still
    - Old Crow
    - Old Charter
    - Old Taylor
    - Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    - Red Hook
    - Very Very Old Fitzgerald
    - Old Weller
    -Old Grandad
    - Old Fitzgerald
    - Four Roses
    - Pappy Van Winkle
    - George T Stagg
    - William Larue Weller
    - and more!

Attached Files:

judy, lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. Ted Balcone

Ted Balcone New Member

Very interesting read!

I like "Old Boots"... should start a new label!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Hi Conehead. You made me look. Yes, it's still in the liquor cab. Now you can educate me.
    I moved into my 1720 Federal Colonial Spring 1982. +_
    This was in one of the whatchamacallits - little cupboards to fill in what would otherwise be wasted space. Looked brand new, wire in good condition. Previous owner did not imbibe and this sat there for ??????years.. I decided to save it for a special occasion which has not yet appeared.
    It has been moved 4 (5?) times since. NEVER OPENED. Guaranteed. So how did evaporation occur?

Bdigger likes this.
  5. TheOLdGuy

OK, an insomniac with 3 1/2 hours sleep who has been driving all day?.
    YEAH, RIGHT. JERK!
    That's OK. I manage to live with myself.
    HOW ABOUT A FEW PICTURES.? Then go take a nap. Jerk!
    Don't mind me, I'm just talking to myself.

Haig&HaigTop.JPG HHTop.JPG HSide.JPG HHEvap.JPG HHEvap.JPG

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It may never have been forced open but I'll venture the seal has been corrupted..

but either Pinch..or Dimple .....it's one of my favorites.....
    I have their pewter covered bottle , in a fancy box...& it only comes out on special occasions.

looks like this.....

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  7. TheOLdGuy

HI, Komo. I double checked a few years ago with a black light and couldn't find any cracks. So it must be where the cap meets the bottle. ;)
    Easy to tell I didn't take decent care of it.

Nice collectible there.

Never tried dimple. Big difference between that and Pinch? Actually my norm was Johnny Walker black. Tried the blue once - duty free - but my taste buds said not really worth the difference.

I recall being at a house party and was challenged to ID scotches. Shot glasses on a tray. Did fairly OK until she started with what turned out to be imported single malts in jugs. NEVER met anyone with such a liquor cabinet - heck - liquor pantry.

8. komokwa

Hahahaha !!!!
    I thought you were going to say.." Did fairly OK....until I fell off my chair ! " :hilarious:

For some marketing reason Haig & Haig used the name Pinch for the same product when sold in Canada .
    The pewter bottle was.....If I remember correctly , purchased at Heathrow on my way home from my last European buying trip in 87.

Yes, the paper under the cap dries out or warps just enough over time to break the air tight seal, or the plastic cap itself could have warped or shifted.
    That's one thick bottle so I wouldn't expect it to crack.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. TheOLdGuy

Thanks Komo for confirming air intrusion method.
    1. I should have taken better care of that bottle. Or opened it a LONG time ago.
    2. Will be interesting, if I ever do open it, to find what happened to the taste. And potency. I know it certainly won't be the same as barrel aged. Improved or deteriorated?

Where's Ted?

For some marketing reason Haig & Haig used the name Pinch for the same product when sold in Canada .
    Did you mean Dimple? It was/is Pinch in US. I had never heard the name Dimple until you mentioned it.

10. komokwa

It's Dimple in the UK, as seen on my bottle bought at the airport in London.

1. ashamed really...that I lost hundreds of $$$ of fine wine by not drinking them when I should have, & not properly storing them when I didn't !
    That was bad cork management !!

2. Whiskey does not age once placed in a bottle, nor does the alcohol content increase ......sure you could take a sip....& then pour it on the plant of the neighbor you are not fond of !:wideyed::wideyed:

KingofThings likes this.
  11. komokwa

Oh.....just kidding.......don't hurt his plants.......invite him over for a drink and let him take the 1st pull on that bottle......you'll know if it's any good....straight away !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's oxidized...ack. I barely drink, but I've heard the name Dimple before - and heard enough that I never wanted to see the price tag.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. TheOLdGuy

Yeah, I know it certainly does not age out of the cask, nor improve. I like your second posted suggestion. But I think I'll wait until he's alone and bring it to his house. I don't want to try to explain a dead body on my kitchen or den floor.

If I'm not mistaken, Johnny Walker Blue is about twice the cost of Pinch.

I've never gone out of my way to order wine. A few friends are avid wine connoisseurs and I will try to compliment them on their latest finds, but don't ask me to comment on the aroma or taste. I can better describe the difference between Skyy, Ketel One and Gray Goose.

That used to be automatic. Vodka May to October. Scotch Nov. to April.

komokwa and gregsglass like this.
  14. evelyb30

Ever try buffalo grass-flavored vodka? I used to love it, once upon a time. It's something the Russians do, along with birch flavored vodka. Can't say I've ever tasted that one, just smelled it.

15. TheOLdGuy

evelyb, never even heard of it. Double checked and there it is. Buffalo or some call it bison grass. Poland, etc., etc.

Somehow, due to my background, I don't think I could try it.
    Reason - my first house I had built was adjoining a several hundred acre dairy farm.
    Took only a week to realize that odor is actually sweet. Visitors never commented. BUT, you were careful walking through the grass.

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi TheOldGuy,
    When we lived out in the "Boonies" and went riding we used to sniff the air and comment on farms that smelled sweet and some that did not. Thanks for the memory jog.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  17. evelyb30

Oldguy - we have lots of Russian in this area, most often Jewish who got out when Gorbachev opened the way. I think they brought the grass flavored stuff here. It sounds like cows smell far better than chickens. Ever smelled what chickens leave behind? (phew - that's one you don't forget!)

18. TheOLdGuy

Maybe I just didn't recognize it, evelyb, but we did raise chickens. Later turkeys. That was my family - just a hobby along with the Victory garden. Fresh eggs every day and fresh chicken during WWII rationing. We had a large coop 25x25 +- and a larger outside run. I really don't recall any odor.

The last tom turkey was kept waiting for the last 2 to get home from WWII. On Thanksgiving 1946 he was an impressive 45 pounds on the server. And tasted great.

The dairy farm was my wife's family property they had sold but kept lots for their son and daughter. We're the only family to build there but 8 houses were next to us on the wooded section of 30 acres with 100 acres of open pasture behind us, sloping gently down and leaving us a phenomenal view for 20 plus miles.

Yes, Greg. That I do remember. Grazing pastures are fine. It was the crop growers who used horse manure for fertilizer we did not enjoy passing through for a month or so.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  19. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

The smell of chicken droppings will clean the hair out of your nose.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. evelyb30

It's the ammonia. Concentrated chicken poop...whew. It's as bad as pig poo. Chickens raised in those barn thingies create a serious stench.

lloyd249, KingofThings and Messilane like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted