Old bronze pot - but how old?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by aaroncab, Oct 4, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Stumbled across this today... It is 7.5" (19cm) tall , about 4.5" (11cm) across at the top rim. Weighs 37 ounces (944 grams) I think it has been polished somewhat in the recent past (compared to how old it might be), but there are still remnants of the old gunk/patina here and there. Has an interesting copper patch over a hole in the base.

Any opinions on age and where from? In hand it certainly feels very old.

Thanks as always for looking.

48839648333_383a5fe616_kdev.jpg 48839648213_8e714aa68e_kdev.jpg 48840192982_83f92e1f39_kdev.jpg 48840193297_9e95a4eef8_kdev.jpg 48840018636_bc37658eac_kdev.jpg 48839648918_7e31e60e2b_kdev.jpg 48839648078_5e8dbf1814_kdev.jpg 48840192347_ce94ba7e02_kdev.jpg 48839648333_383a5fe616_kdev.jpg 48839647618_872022596b_kdev.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I haven't a clue, other than the fact that somebody thought enough of it that they patched it rather well, rather than discarding it!!!! I like that!!!:D:D:D

EDIT: But then on looking again, I wonder if the copper brads above and looking at their placement in relation to the patch below have anything to do with a handle that might have broken off?? Potentially a drinking tankard or would something not taste good out of bronze or whatever it's made of????

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

When was the other one with a similar patch and didn't hold water?3 months/6months ago? Doesn't look like they did a good job of trying to solder the copper plate to the base. Polished or just bad cleanup after heating the piece to an unknown temperature to solder the patch.

Marie Forjan and aaroncab like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Cool piece, unusual and old for sure, patch is superior tinker-work and almost folk-art ..no idea what for or where from though!

aaroncab likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks rather like brass. reminds me of a Hagenauer vase I acquired. DSC05995 (535x800).jpg
    DSC05996 (579x569).jpg

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

2manybooks likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if metal could talk !
    I think it's neat !

aaroncab likes this.
  8. aaroncab

9. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    aaroncab likes this.
  10. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

What an interesting piece !!! Cool....

aaroncab likes this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Unlike the Ottoman jug shown by Mat, I'm not sure this has any actual age on it. The "damage" in the bottom appears to be a spot where the brass casting material failed to engulf. I just don't see use wear on this piece in the area of the hole and doubt that to be the reason for the hole. I mean, it doesn't look like it wore out from so much use. I don't care if the other side is dented. The patch looks decorative. Just my own humble opinion.

aaroncab likes this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well I think it's super old, texture of wear reminds me of an old (and I mean old) pharmacy mortar I used to own. No call on origin or use yet though ..:(

aaroncab likes this.
  13. aaroncab

I also think its old - having it in hand, and having seen a few non-old pieces that are trying to look old, this one looks like it's genuinely old(to me). I could always be wrong. There's much more to the wear on the piece than the patched hole. It looks pretty symmetrical in a few of the photos, but in reality it's majorly beat up with small dents, the base is smushed (from being dropped i would guess) there are dings, dents, scratches basically covering the entire thing...

Blooey - similar to your mortar, I once owned an old ( early 18th cent?) thunder mug / signal cannon, and the texture, feel and even smell of this very much remind me of it.

That being said - the patch sure does look like it's trying to be kinda artsy. Who knows - LOL.

antidiem and komokwa like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

to me that hole looks as if it was forgotten on a fire, perhaps simmering something. or if pharmaceutical use a chemical reaction.

aaroncab likes this.
  15. antidiem

I know you think this is old, @aaroncab , and I want it to be old for you too! But, thanks for being able to see the patch job from my point of view. It's all just too "pretty" of a patch, but the bottom LOOKS rasped to the max and then colorized with black. It's relatively so small at 7", I cannot see how this was ever used as a daily utilitarian piece to acquire such "age wear"? Plus it acquired that desperate hole in the bottom, looks "ripped" on one edge. Maybe when they were rasping it, they tore a hole in the bottom? idk?

Not sure what in the world this would ever have been used for, but heating it up on a stove seems unlikely, especially after the patch was applied. Unless it has been artificially aged.. And I just cannot imagine that such a small piece would need 6+ rivets to patch it up, I mean, who would bother? Unless they wanted it to look old.

Its circumstances of size and condition are just too odd for me to believe that it is terribly old. It's my opinion that it is a decorative piece, probably quite weighty and smooth in hand, made to look old.

Fid, this looks nothing like your beautiful Hagenauer vase.

16. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

That's what I'm seeing. Legit old, badly handled.

No clue what it is.

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

F0C5CC00-7A81-4D1A-ADAE-1ED43C8487A9.jpeg One thing I find unusual, is that it looks as the ridge line is incomplete just where the patch is. What that could mean, I can’t say. Maybe it was dropped and dented there, creating the hole?

18. antidiem

Good catch, INH. Thanks. That does look odd, but the application of the patch with heat, as I'm sure it had to be heated to a very high temperature to fit the copper patch, could have caused the ridge line of the base to be hammered out of existence. Even though I don't see typical hammer marks.

i need help likes this.
  19. aaroncab

What you're seeing there as the "ridge line" is an indentation from where that side of the base is pushed inward/upward - probably from a drop. The side where the patch is (not just where the patch is - but that whole side, is not pushed inward/upward, and hence has no indentation on the inside. I'm getting some pics together now to show it better.

i need help likes this.
  20. aaroncab

Here are a few more pics to illustrate the base better. One whole side of the base is somewhat smushed up into the body of the pot. It sits unevenly because of it.

48849412162_57a81448bd_kdev.jpg

The not smushed side:

48849413322_517323a17a_kdev.jpg

The smushed side:

48849222671_0c1fda40b3_kdev.jpg

48849222901_79f918a486_kdev.jpg

A little better shot of the inside:

48849411742_92af66d5fe_kdev.jpg

Jivvy and i need help like this.