Featured Old car metallic pinstriping ink powder - ingredients?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

A customer came into the store the other day and was saying how she had just been applying gold leaf to something. I showed her some bottles of powdered ink I had saved from the Studebaker garage when I cleaned it out several years ago.
    She insisted that it was quite possible that the gold ink was made with high karat gold, and that I should get it tested because I might have a thousand dollars worth of gold here.
    The three ink powders are not in the original containers, although one did have its original label stuck onto its new jar.
    What do you think? Does anyone know if they used real gold in the old powdered inks they used on cars?

DSCN9664.JPG

DSCN9665.JPG

DSCN9667.JPG

DSCN9669.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'd say.......check it out!!! What have you got to lose???!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Bookahtoo

My dignity........:eek:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& yer marbles.....
    I don't see how one would get the gold out of the powder....if there be any there in the 1st place.....
    even scratching gold leaf off a frame would be easier....& maybe net you 15 cents worth of gold.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I doubt it's gold - probably copper.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I say it is imitation gold. Comes in 7 or 8 colors not really just shades of gold coloring for different periods. I used to buy it in 1 qt containers did many a many picture frames with it. Always put a clear coat of acrylic to keep it turning.
    One frame had 5 different colors of gold. It looked spectacular for 15 years. It may still be fine since I sold it when I was moving.
    greg

scoutshouse, antidiem and kyratango like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

What do you mix it with to use it as paint? I once tried water and that DID NOT WORK. :D

scoutshouse and antidiem like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Probably something petroleum-based; it was meant to be mixed with ink, and offset inks have oils in them.

scoutshouse, antidiem and kyratango like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Turpentine, I use it to thin rubn'buff gold:)

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I always use cheap clear nail polish. Add enough "paint" to make a thick solution like sour cream but remember to use a small amount at a time since it dries quickly. Use a very thin coat or two at the most. let dry for 24 hours, wipe down and cover with a coat of clear lacquer.
    greg

11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

karatgold was a copyrighted name for an imitation gold

You don't have ink, you have pigment. You need a base to mix it in. Linseed oil may work but lacquer, spar varnish or polyurethane varnish would be better.

judy, kyratango, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  12. Bookahtoo

Ah ha - thank you Terry.

judy, scoutshouse and antidiem like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SOOOOOOO......DIGNITY SAVED!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

SUPER GOOD WORK Y'ALL! :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

judy, axelrich and scoutshouse like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Thanks for the help and suggestions everybody!!!!!

antidiem, kyratango and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted