Old Carved Wood Hog Rail

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Thrifster, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

This is an old carved wood hog or boar rail with a spindle inserted on the top that I purchased at the TS today. I'm not sure what it is but I think the hog or boar rail base may be part of a rail. The wood spindle I don't think is original to it since it fits rather loose in the hole and stands too tall out of it. The rail measures about 14" in length and the both of them have a combined weight of about 4 pounds 12 ounces.

I think the spindle part looks more of like what you would tie ropes on for a sailing ship. The hole in the hog rail top has a lot of smaller holes in the bottom which looks like it may have been attached to something at one time. The holes look like some of them have mud or dirt in them. Does anyone know what these two objects are and how old they might be or anything else about them? Thanks in advance for all replies.

HPIM4412.JPG

HPIM4401.JPG
    HPIM4402.JPG
    HPIM4403.JPG

HPIM4404.JPG
    HPIM4408.JPG
    HPIM4409.JPG
    HPIM4411.JPG

kyratango and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think what you're calling the 'spindle' would be a cleat on a boat/ship maybe, but you're right...it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the item, AND there's no threading on the piece to go with either piece!! My first thought WAS going to be 'nutcracker', but that doesn't work either.....so at this point, am going to let others chime in and give it a go!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A grinder of some sort?

4. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

So those small holes run from the bottom of the well to the bottom of the piece? Could it be some sort of strainer press...? Like for compressing something into cakes? Tobacco is running through my mind.... firm enough that once compressed it could be knocked out; without needing to be pulled out?
    Certainly an interesting piece!

Leslie

5. Thrifster

Thanks for the replies Aquitaine and moreotherstuff. Yes, spindle would be cleat for a sailing ship. I think the cleat may be something inbetween a a sailing ship belaying pin and cleat or other part of a sailing ship rigging or something else but have not been able to locate another one like it.

I don't think the cleat is part of the hog head rail or base. I guess it may be possible the rail was part of a foot or stand or base to something like a stand or table or the top of a staircase rail end, don't know. Thanks again!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Thrifster

Northern Lights Lodge, yes, the holes go from the bottom of the well to the bottom of the piece. I thought perhaps it was nail or small dowel rod holes to hold the original wood shaft in it but I'm not sure since the original piece is not with it. The cleat is not original to the piece I think since the shaft is longer and diameter is noticably shorter and whatever was in the hole looks like it had a snug fit.

7. Thrifster

Although, I guess it would be possible the hog head base is part of a press and the cleat was married to it at a later date or added for decoration. If you notice on the top view of the base there is outer circle wear to the top rim and the cleat rim would not be able to go down that far into the base.

8. Thrifster

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Bingo! I'd say that is correct, a food press of some sort.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

12. Aquitaine

And the description that went with it, @Thrifster!!
    "Offered in this lot we have a primitive hand made ox figure fruit press. The press is made of a single piece of wood and is carved in the shape of an ox. The fruit press originates from near Pray Montana. It shows a wood hand press with a metal grated bottom. The piece is in good condition overall with some wear and one of the tip of the horns damaged. The press measures 11 1/2" long by 5 1/2" wide and 9" tall." Sold for $50.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  13. Thrifster

Aquitaine, it's similar but I think not as nice as the one I have. Don't know why you added the Sold for price? I also think mine originated from India from the motif design, and other examples I've seen, etc..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  14. Aquitaine

HAHA! The price was there with it, that's all!! And I DO like yours better!!

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted