Old ceramic plates.. Help identify age and makers mark.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kavinda Vishan, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Kavinda Vishan

Kavinda Vishan Active Member

Hi All,

Would appreciate if you could help identify the age and origin of these three ceramic plates based on their marks? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    20141022_084335.jpg 20141022_084436.jpg 20141022_084530.jpg 20141022_084600.jpg 20141022_083643.jpg 20141022_083748.jpg

rhiwfield likes this.
  2. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

First I believe is Fenton Russel & Co. early 1900's

judy likes this.
  3. Kavinda Vishan

Thank you very much @CharlesSabo for your response. However Fenton Russel & Co. is a Silverware manufacturer i believe https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Edinburgh-F.html Although the initials are the same the makers mark do seem a bit different, wouldn't you agree?

judy likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Platter - It appears to be only a partial mark but it might be Ford, Challinor, & Co. or Ford & Riley. The word in the center would be the pattern name.
    Don

Kavinda Vishan and judy like this.
  5. Kavinda Vishan

Thank you very much Don for the info. I suppose it could be Ford & Riley.. initials appear with a circular belt mark and the name of the pattern in the center.. the pattern name is 'RAFFAELLE' ... Would you happen to know if platters of this kind are of any value?
    a.PNG

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Even in perfect condition these can be a tough sell. Not many people collect mid to late 1800's transfer patterns. The first plate appears undamaged and in my opinion is the most interesting. I've not come across that type of pattern very often. It's also interesting that it is marked with what I think is an FR but I couldn't find that mark in my marks book (Godden). That's a bad crack on the second plate and the transfer is very worn on the platter.
    Don

Kavinda Vishan likes this.
  7. Kavinda Vishan

Very interesting indeed.. I had no idea about the marks or the age until now. Thank you once again...

8. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Excellent photos.

The first plate intrigues me. Unusual pattern, with the backstamp should be easily identifiable but isnt!

Initials either FR & Co or T R & Co.

I would think Staffordshire but is there a chance this is not an English plate?

If Godden has already been trawled through without a match I won't repeat the process!

9. Kavinda Vishan

Thank you @rhiwfield for the info.. Intriguing indeed.. these are from Sri Lanka.. some that were left from my Grandfather's collection.. so yes it's possible that this is not an English plate.. could be from Holland, Portugal, Germany.. I have no clue..

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Friends of Blue mentions the 'F.R. & Co.' mark, apparently unidentified, but cross-referenced to one of their bulletins - unfortunately, you must need to be a member to access the bulletin: http://www.fob.org.uk/ManufactIndex.html

~Cheryl

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  11. Kavinda Vishan

Yes they do mention the F.R & Co. mark with the three-masted ship. Unfortunately we do not have access. Thanks for the update Cheryl, this was really helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted