Old ceramic tiles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Vintinella, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Hey guys,

I stumbled across a box of these kind of handpainted tiles.
    Anyone knows where and when they are from?

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9CE8D3A2-A28E-4644-941B-28B7E1AF1341.jpeg 21AC2360-793B-4AFA-BF1A-97201B8A0744.jpeg 85B86B74-AA34-47DC-BA4F-83D7AA50B9B1.jpeg A whole box, how nice! :)
    Full Image displays photos better. :)

judy, Any Jewelry, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  3. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

judy, Vintinella and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they are Dutch manganese tiles, nice. Manganese pigment causes that purple colour.
    Manganese tiles are more rare. I prefer them over blue and white.

In order to see whether these are antique, I'd have to see the sides and know dimensions including thickness. The back is very clean, so it was probably never used. That is one clue, but I need the other info.:)

7. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Dear Pat P, i need help and Any Jewelry,
    thank you very much for your time and answers :)!
    This is an amazing find then :)!
    We are still hobbyists regarding old stuff and we were just commenting the other day, why can't we stumble upon some very old stuff hehehe and here it is :)

I will send the measurements and more photos today :)
    Have a nice day!

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Smaller tile from the same batch:

- dimensions: 10 x 10 cm; 1 cm thick

20190501_135050.jpg 20190501_135144.jpg 20190501_135124.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Larger (manganese) tile

Dimensions: 13 x 13 cm; 8 mm. thick 20190426_223127.jpg 20190501_135137.jpg 20190501_135132.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Another bigger tile

Dimensions: 13 x 13 cm, 8 mm thick

20190502_205010.jpg 20190502_205022.jpg 20190502_205101.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Your smaller tile seems to have an impressed mark on the back that looks like it could be a Makkum crossed T's mark. They do make a tile in that size according to the book Discovering Dutch Delftware. The factory has been in business some 400 years but didn't start using that mark until the 1860s. Actually the book says that they started impressing the mark on tiles in 1967. You might check their website.

https://www.tichelaar.com/shop/tiles

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. Any Jewelry

I don't think I said that. I said it was probably never used and I needed more info, which you have now given.:)
    Sizes and backs are very important when dating tiles. If tiles were never used it is very likely they are not antique. The good thing is, you can use them without being worried you could damage an antique tile.

All of these were made by Tichelaar in Makkum, Friesland, the north of the Netherlands. They were made as imitations of antique tiles. Many people use these in the home, for a traditional kitchen, or to replace antique tiles that were lost.
    I don't think Tichelaar makes them anymore.

I found a shop that sells them, both new and used (not antique):

https://www.dutchartpottery.nl/Webw...KUM-TICHELAAR-TEGELS-13-cm-MANGAAN-SEPIA.html

https://www.dutchartpottery.nl/polychrome-tegels-10-cm

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    judy, Vintinella, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've actually had pretty good luck selling the odd tile(s). Here in the US it has become popular to decorate kitchen backsplashes in a plain tile with a few tiles like the above floral as accent tiles. They can also be used by crafters to create trivets. Or you can run three or more complimentary tiles together, frame then in wood, and create a wall hanging. With so little else selling it's kind of nice to find something that does sell, even if not for very much money.
    Don

judy, Vintinella and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Dear Any Jewelry,

I just noticed that I didn't reply to your post although I intended too earlier. I could easily blame the pregnant brain :D

I really appreciate your time and answer and info on the Makkum production, that was quite new info for me :)!

Thank you once again!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, Vintinella, and all the best for the pregnancy. And the 'baby brain' of course.;)

judy and Vintinella like this.
  16. Vintinella

Vintinella Member

Hey Don,

I agree with you on this one totally. I still haven't decided what I am going to do with them (sell them as they are of make something out of them) but I'm sure there will be interested parties, as you mentioned :)
    Have a nice day.

dgbjwc, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm glad I could help. Best wishes for you and the little one on the way!
    Don

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted