Featured Old Chair back turned Picture Frame

Discussion in 'Art' started by Landon, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Landon

Landon Member

Hello. I was in St. Kitts (Caribbean) this past week and was given this frame. My mother asked the homeowner if she could purchase it for me for my birthday but the owner declined and generously gave the frame to her. Unfort., I accidently spoiled the surprise upon the return trip..

Anyhow, the homeowner and his family have been on the island for 4 generations and all have been avid collectors of old estate finds (they are very well known on the island) and collecting items the sea brings to them. Truly an amazing house with wonderful things to look at. This particular piece appears to have been the back of a chair at one point but reassigned to being a potential picture frame. I'm curious if anyone can tell me about its origin based on the style. I can not find any markings.

I also feel like I need to moisturize the wood as it is VERY dry.

I snapped the upcoming pictures as I was walking out the door this morning to fly out for work. I would appreciate any feedback you may have! thanks!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. Landon

Landon Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

snap more pictures.....:hilarious:

Any Jewelry and KingofThings like this.
  4. Landon

Landon Member

Yea. Upon looking at the pictures to post them, I realized they weren't the best. As I mentioned, I quickly snapped them on my way out the door to make my flight. I'll see if I can get my spouse to take some good ones.

5. Landon

Landon Member

More pics

IMG952512.jpg

IMG952513.jpg

IMG952514.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Landon

Landon Member

More pics..

IMG952515.jpg

IMG952516.jpg

IMG952518.jpg

IMG952519.jpg

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are there any marks on it anywhere that indicate that at any time it was ever hung from the top or attached to a chair seat at the bottom? All those little holes made me think at first that it had been a chair back with something like a needlepoint panel inset. Further examination & consideration make me doubt. However, can't think of anything other than some kind of needle work that would need all those holes to be attached.

8. Landon

Landon Member

The piece is curved. Should have mentioned that.... Where indicated with red is where there appears to be where it was sawed off. The cut appears to be an old one as the color is consistent with the rest of the piece. You can see the saw lines but seems to be a very early cut.. Will get pictures of that as well

9. Landon

Landon Member

Pic

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Landon

Landon Member

A few of the corners to show where cut.

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Ah, I get it now. And assume the carved side is concave? What a great way to repurpose a chair that must have been breaking down. I have seen ornately carved frames for presumably broken hand mirrors also used as frames. I'm not being the least bit helpful, just think this one is really fun. :joyful:

12. komokwa

13. Landon

Landon Member

Ha. On top of West Indies style stuff, I also collect taxidermy. That would be Nessy, our Mountain Lion

Any Jewelry and KingofThings like this.
  14. komokwa

Well she's pointing right to where you say are saw marks......so she's still very much on the ball !! :hilarious:

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and KingofThings like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That should make one very fascinating picture frame!!!!!! Going to be a fair amount of work, but really neat when done, though!!!!!

16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Why did you stop enlarging your photos???
    :(

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. My best guess is Spanish Colonial origin. Whether a newer revival piece or several hundred years old, I am at a loss.

Bronwen and KingofThings like this.
  18. Bronwen

That was my first thought too. Guessing now it was a cane backed chair of this sort:
    [​IMG]

Sandra, bluemoon, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Reminds me of when I needed two really large mirrors for either side of a fireplace. I bought the headboard and foot board of an antique French bed and installed mirrors in the bottom half. They looked great and was a lot cheaper.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  20. Landon

Landon Member

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. On the lookout for the perfect picture. If anyone has idea on how to create the frame, I'm all ears.

Thinking a old palm frown print

Draft saved Draft deleted