Old chair ... on the bonfire

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mavota, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Mavota

Mavota Member

Hi Everyone.

Last week I posted that my parents were threatening to throw some old furniture on the bonfire. Today I visited the bonfire to check if there was anything worth saving, and I found this old chair.

It is quite a sturdy construction. I'm not sure elegant would be the word for it, but I quite like it. It came from my grandparents' house and I can safely say it is 100+ years old, but it looks like it could be much older. I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people can offer an opinion on its date, and whether it is worth rescuing.*

*I definitely think it is, but I already have a reputation as a hoarder, so I need to have a good reason to make my case.

Apologies for the poor photos! It was getting dark, and as I say, it was already on top of a bonfire stack.

Attached Files:

judy and Houseful like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Mavota-You need to rent a small warehouse & start a 'free pickup & burn' service in yr County

Born2it and judy like this.
  3. Mavota

Mavota Member

Ha, perhaps. Maybe just open up the bonfire to scavengers before it gets lit. Just 2-weeks till the builders arrive...

Born2it and judy like this.
  4. bosko69

Mavota- There could be some quite valuable stuff in yr ould sod that the folks would be gettin rid of for nothing.Course you might have to take a few hour drive to sell it-but it's easier than doing a roof or sucking out a septic tank.

Born2it likes this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Lets see, "Burn it or give it away", "Burn it or give it away", "Burn it or give it away" - Hmmmmmmmmmm....

[​IMG]

komokwa likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Unless you're really enthusiastic about refinishing the chair, I'd say let it go. My guess is that value in its current state is minimal.

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  7. bosko69

Save the Game Table for sure,remember I'm King !

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

put it to the curb........it'll be gone soon..

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think much value to this since it needs upholstery. Find a way to recycle this rather than having a bonfire.

Figtree3, Born2it and Rayo56 like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Freegle, Freecycle or BHF - or another charity shop. NO BONFIRE. Please.

bercrystal and Born2it like this.
  11. bosko69

The Bonfire of the Vanities.

12. Mavota

Mavota Member

OK, I've been looking into the possibility of getting the chair professionally upholstered. I think it would cost about £500.

If I did do that, I would keep the chair and therefore the value wouldn't really matter too much. However, if it is only going to be worth £50 when restored I don't think it would be worth it. If it might be worth £300 fully restored then I could live with the 'loss'.

So, does anyone have any idea how much it might be worth when repaired and re-covered?

13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I think it's a beautiful chair, and it doesn't look like it's in too bad of shape - just dirty.
    But I've been in similar situations, where I had to repeat to myself all day "You can't save everything, you can't save everything". :(:(:(:(

bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

take the cash, and clean the rug........

15. bosko69

Grab the Guinness & some marshmallows to roast & say "fare thee well old chair,soon you'll nay have a care !"

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Restored, I'd guess £150 to maybe £200.

A thought. Could you make a project of it and have a go yourself?

bercrystal, Figtree3 and verybrad like this.
  17. bosko69

Agree w/ Overbear-Refinishing furniture (for me anyway) is fun,therapeutic & rewarding,but it's work.

18. Mavota

Mavota Member

I have an update on the chair. I visited my parents’ place on Saturday and pulled it out of the bonfire, together with a small bookcase.

Unfortunately I have zero talent when it comes to doing things with my hands, and if the chair will only be worth £150-200 when done up, I don’t think it is worth spending £500 on. However, I’ve persuaded myself that the condition is not too bad, and therefore it will do for now.

I’ve squeezed it into a corner of my sitting room where it is now a foreboding presence on the other side of the room from my desk where I’m sitting now. As you may be able to tell from the stack of books, I don’t exactly have a lot of spare space!

Attached Files:

Figtree3, verybrad and Bookahtoo like this.
  19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I'm so glad you saved it!!!!!

It looks like you need more bookcases!!

20. Mavota

Mavota Member

More bookcases yes, but first I need somewhere to put them! The one I brought back is going to have to be balanced on top of a desk in my spare room. I need a bigger house.

I am not a hoarder ... I am not a hoarder ... :angelic:

Draft saved Draft deleted