Old Chess Set

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kerem, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Kerem

Kerem New Member

Hello everyone,

Kerem here, I'm new to the forum. I have bought an old looking, late medieval themed chess set from a local antique shop for a quite decent price. When I inspect it, I notice the board was solid wood covered with leather because it was really heavy for its size (5.8kg; 50cm*34cm*3.5cm) and the surface emits a distinct smell when I moisten it. And I think the pieces are made from brass. I'm guesstimating that it is from early 1900s. I just wanted to know that is it of good quality, how old it is, what is its value, etc. so if anyone has any idea, any comment is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Does the black king really look like Darth Vader?

[​IMG]

What do the pieces & the board look like on the bottom?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Kerem

Kerem New Member

The pieces' bottoms were really worn so I felted them but before that there were fabric glued to them. The bottom of the board is dark red with a velvet like texture but I don't know the exact material

Bronwen likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

These look very much like something from Franklin Mint . I know they get a bad rap now,but at one time they had lovely,quality stuff. I used tolove their store when I lived in Colorado (lo those many years ago) .

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think it much newer than that. Would you post a photograph of the board's bottom?

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The queen is after the Naumburg Cathedral donor statue of Uta von Ballenstedt, so it could be German:

[​IMG]

7. Kerem

Kerem New Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

• bot1.png
      bot1.png
      File size:
      366.5 KB
      Views:
    • bot2.png
      bot2.png
      File size:
      362.2 KB
      Views:
    Bronwen likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I didn't know that Franklin Mint made chess sets. Just looked online and saw a lot of them!

@Kerem welcome to Antiquers! Sorry to say, I can't be much help. I haven't found anything helpful through a search and don't have a lot of knowledge of chess sets.

Kerem and Bronwen like this.
  9. Piet Strydom

Piet Strydom New Member

lloyd249 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted