Featured Old chessboard

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nickjellison, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Nickjellison

Nickjellison New Member

IMG_12122019_111826_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg IMG_12122019_111855_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg IMG_12122019_111909_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg IMG_12122019_111840_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg I have this old chess board and have no idea how old it could be or if it is valuable or not. The board is wooden and the chess pieces seem to be ceramic or the like.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At a glance, it's from somewhere in South America. New if not new-ish. The pieces are likely resin.

Debora

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.
    Can you go back and click Full Image please.

Also what is written in the box.

Christmasjoy and Nickjellison like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At a second glance, I see llamas so from one of the Andean countries -- Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia most likely.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ecuador and Peru according to the internet. A Google Image search for "Inca Conquistador chess set" will bring up other examples.

Debora

6. Nickjellison

Nickjellison New Member

I cant read what is written in the box

7. Nickjellison

Nickjellison New Member

Thank you!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a Peruvian set. Sometimes the pieces are carved from wood, other times they are ceramic.
    Legend has it that the Inca Atahualpa was the first South American to learn chess, while in captivity in Cajamarca, Peru.

9. Nickjellison

Nickjellison New Member

Thank you for that info! Any idea how to sell this?

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You seem to be short a blue pawn piece - or is it there and just not in the picture?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity... How did you determine that this was Peruvian and not Ecuadorian? Were you able to read the stamp? I ask because it appears that similar chess sets are made and sold in both countries.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

The cacti painted on the rim.;) Peru has its coastal desert and cacti, Ecuador does not.
    As far as I know these are made in Peru, but no doubt sold in the other former Inca countries as well.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Sorry, no, I have never sold a Peruvian chess set. Anyway I think I live on a different continent from you. But you can check out ebay.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They are. Apparently a popular item at the Otavalo market. And Ecuador and Peru both have the San Pedro cactus, native to the Andes.

Debora

220px-Starr_070320-5799_Echinopsis_pachanoi.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I remember seeing that one in Peru, in the valleys. It looks different from the ones on the board though.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted