Featured Old Chinese or Japanese Face Necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KevinM, Jun 7, 2016.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I purchased this old face necklace today and have researched it but I'm still trying to find out information on it. The necklace has 16 carved faces which are of the Sixteen Arhats and 1 carved one that is not a face.

From what I've read the faces are carved from an olive pit. The carved faces are about 1" in length. The necklace measures about 36" in length and has black onyx beads on it and it's strung with a linen string attached to a clasp that is marked sterling. I've also read references to Chinese, Japanese, Buddhism and others with the Sixteen Arhats.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this was a Chinese, or a Japanese necklace or a Buddhism Prayer Necklace or something else? Also, when was this necklace was made, perhaps someone can tell by the clasp? In Addition, what are the faces carved from on this necklace or any other information on it?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    HPIM3885.JPG HPIM3888.JPG HPIM3886.JPG HPIM3887.JPG HPIM3889.JPG HPIM3890.JPG HPIM3891.JPG HPIM3893.JPG HPIM3894.JPG HPIM3895.JPG

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Impossible to date the clasp,they have been made in the same style for more than 75 years.Chinese "mala" beads and probably carved from peach pits.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    kyratango, scoutshouse and cxgirl like this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wellllll, now I know what Arhats are (thank you, Google).
    I had a look around, but didn't accomplish much. You've probably already done this, but if you Google "16 Arhats necklace heads onyx beads" (using Google Images), you'll see some similar. I will say that I find the carving on yours to be really fine. Good luck with it.

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

WOW, those would have to be HUGE olives to have 1" pits :shame:

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, there is THAT! :hilarious:

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, I would have to say peach pits now from what I've read out there.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nice carving. The clasp is any time from the 50s to now.

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Laughing lohans... Nice!
    I sold one with ivory beads for under $100, but really wish I'd researched it further...
    I saw one very like it on Alibaba so thought it was probably some kind of repro even though the lohans and cording looked genuinely old (the ivory looked newer). At the time, I thought everything on Alibaba was new...
    Yours are nicely carved and have nice patina - may sell better as beads?
    I paid $5 for mine at Savers, so I went ahead and flipped them, but will never know for sure how old or collectible they were.
    Good luck with it!

kyratango likes this.
  9. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks Ownedbybear and thanks scoutshouse for sharing your experience with yours and info and possible option on selling as beads. I have seen the beads alone sell well. Although, I think this one is nice as it is and would not part it out since it's made well with the onyx beads and knotted linen string, etc...

Draft saved Draft deleted