Old cloth doll pin cushion?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Siblye, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Siblye

Siblye Active Member

Hi Good People,

I think this is the best forum.. can anyone tell me anything about this cloth doll please?

It came in a box of stuff from auction, I’m in England. Judging by the way the cloth is disintegrating I assume it has some age? Thought maybe a pin cushion? Measures 10cm/4” in length.

Thanks in advance for any help

91174A56-3F5E-400A-A192-C3D07FD7ED57.jpeg 1D8BA79D-692D-4B12-982C-DB5DF16B5965.jpeg 6899FA3B-98A4-4BEF-A0A4-A00BA025CC59.jpeg 100C5DB0-E844-42F6-BBEF-49068984D439.jpeg E0227455-E49F-40A5-ADF7-3520F680A83E.jpeg

lovewrens and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I have heard these dolls referred to as Shroud Dolls, because of their simple construction.
    I have no idea when they first came into common usage but I do think they could be as old as 100 years or more.
    The simplicity of the doll would make it possible for a mother or child with limited needlework skills to provide a toy and the shape would make it easy for a very young child to grasp.

Houseful, Any Jewelry, Siblye and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A poor thing of great poignancy. Looks 1930s/1940s from the print. May well have been feedsacking.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

4. Modest Muse

Modest Muse Active Member

Looks a bit like a papoose..

upload_2020-9-2_12-27-23.jpeg

Houseful, Any Jewelry and Siblye like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Can you even IMAGINE giving a sweet,lovingly made doll like that to these kids nowadays ??? They'd be mortally offended ! I remember seeing ones like this made out of old clothespins (remember those?) when I was very young. This is one of those objects that makes me get a little verklempt ,thinking of some granny making it for her grandchild . Mainly because I think of my own dear and much missed grandmother. Damn it,who's cutting onions in here ???

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO EVERYTHING you mentioned, Johnny!

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's 30s fabric all right.

antidiem, Siblye and Debora like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not feedsack if it's British, we didn't do that clever thing of patterning them. it does look like 30s dress or curtain fabric.

Siblye likes this.
  9. evelyb30

American feed/flour/sugar sack makers printed them because people were making the fabrics into clothing. I'd imagine it also helped sell whatever was in the sack. I've sold a few bits of it here and there, including two pieces that were completely intact. Right down to the stitching holes. One of those shipped to Japan for silly money.

DizzyDaff, Siblye and antidiem like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Yup, I've seen those US feedsacks. I don't know why we never did it here. They did get used as rag rug bases, but they were plainish hessian.

Siblye and antidiem like this.
  11. evelyb30

The plain ones here were used as baking towels.

12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

That is a feed sack. I have one in that pattern. There were hundreds of patterns but I have several of that exact one.

DizzyDaff, Siblye and Debora like this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks Lark, what dry goods came inside of your feedsacks?

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I was a kid my chickens meals all came in feed sacks. Since we grew what we needed I do not remember anything else coming in those feed sacks.
    greg

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And that's why they were called "feed" sacks. ;)

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I forgot to say that the flour came in feed sacks also. They switched to paper bags in the 1940s. So I guess they were "feed" sacks also.:p
    greg

17. evelyb30

Sugar did too, if you bought any. I think the commercial size flour and sugar sacks hung on a little longer, but those were always plain white.

18. Ownedbybear

@Lark - that's interesting. I wonder if someone sent the fabric over to here.

19. Siblye

Siblye Active Member

Or brought the doll over with them when they were young? That would be sweet.

I always wonder at the history of things. The second piece of uranium/Vaseline glass I got was Gillinder and sons from 1888. I don’t know if they exported but like to imagine how it ended up on our shores.

20. evelyb30

War bride who went the other way?

Siblye likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted