Featured OLD CRUSTY, MUSTY, TERRA COTTA VASES - REAL OLD OR JUST CRUSTY & MUSTY?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, Sep 15, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found these at a local thrift store. They looked old & having been underwater for some time so my first thought was these are rare old vases that were brought up from a ship wreck! (hey - you can find all kinds of things that were donated to thrift stores that turn out to be Cartier, a painting by a famous artist, etc.. - why not sunken treasure? lol)
    Also, they were only $4.99 each so I can't get hurt financially if they are nothing.
    I'm pretty sure they are terra cotta from what I can see in the chip on a rim.
    So are these really old or just really crusty?
    Thanks all!

POTTERY VASE TERRA COTTA OLD PAIR 1AA.JPG POTTERY VASE TERRA COTTA OLD PAIR 2AA.JPG POTTERY VASE TERRA COTTA OLD PAIR 3AAA.JPG POTTERY VASE TERRA COTTA OLD PAIR 3AA.JPG POTTERY VASE TERRA COTTA OLD PAIR 4AA.JPG POTTERY VASE TERRA COTTA OLD PAIR 4AAA.JPG

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Third pic down shows some sharp raggedy clay bits that indicate to me they are modern pieces, if they were old items they would have been worn off if you see what I mean. Think they were a bargain though at that price. I’m no pottery expert btw. Plus they are very clean inside.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look aged to me, rather than very old, but I could be wrong.
    They are nice though, and certainly a bargain. They would look great in a garden or patio.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First thought too, aged to look older. Not to deceive, but sold in a modern setting, deliberately to have an ancient look. Pretty sure I've seen similar pieces at my thrift, right down to the rings on the handles.

Of course somewhere there has to be the "real thing" these manufacturers are modelling after... so can't say for sure. I agree the fact that the exterior is so worn but the inside seems clean is suspect, but I am not an expert at all in ancient pottery so if any question, do continue to research.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Gut reaction is modern from Mexico.

Taupou and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Modern garden decorator items. I've similar and see them a fair bit. 4.99 is a bargain.

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted