Featured Old Cufflink ? or Button ? Found under 1893 house ID?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by SimpleSue, Apr 4, 2021.

1. SimpleSue

SimpleSue New Member

This old cufflink or button was found several feet deep in a sandy type soil, (along with an old musket ball) under the cement of a house built in 1893.

Although it's really beat up we are still curious about it, and hoping someone here knew something about it, and could date it...anything.

The amber colored glass? with the rabbit is set in some kind of metal. rabbit w penny.jpg rabbit back.jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 11.50.36 AM.jpg rabbit full.jpg

kyratango, dude, KSW and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Sue. I will tag someone who may be able to help you, @DragonflyWink .:)

SimpleSue, kyratango, dude and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's the front of what was a cuff link, probably gold-filled brass originally. The rabbit is made from something-or-other.

SimpleSue, kyratango and dude like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Welcome - nice timing, posting a bunny today...

It's a hinged shirt/collar stud/button, missing its back - the extensions on the post were between two round bits of brass, flatten to put through the buttonhole, then pivot the back parallel to the front, held in that position by pressure between the two brass bits, and some designs had a slit that allowed the back to slip off with time (will hunt up some images since I'm sure my description only makes sense to me). Wasn't very old before it ended up under the house, would be circa 1880s, the rabbit looks like amber color glass with the effects of being buried for well over a century, appears to be on the largish size (maybe a bit under an inch?), might have belonged to a lady, but men did wear fancy buttons as well.

~Cheryl

stracci, Figtree3, Ce BCA and 7 others like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

6. DragonflyWink

7. SimpleSue

SimpleSue New Member

Thanks!

8. SimpleSue

SimpleSue New Member

Thanks, I'm a little lost on the way this page works, trying to thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. SimpleSue

SimpleSue New Member

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

10. SimpleSue

SimpleSue New Member

Thanks for all of your input and information on this little mystery object we found!
    I was not that familiar with "shirt/collar stud/button's" and had not even considered that until now, but it seems you solved our mystery for sure!
    Thank you so much for the great links, photo of the "shoe-fly" so much like our amber glass rabbit inset! So interesting to learn that men and women wore these!
    Also thank you for your estimate on the date of this item- and I didn't even realize I posted the bunny on Easter until you mentioned it LOL! Thank You so much!!!

Figtree3 and DragonflyWink like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted