Featured Old Delft with script I can't read...help with translation :)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 11, 2019.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These are two old plates that I assume are written in Dutch but can't really make out very well as they are hand written.

Years ago my daughter was dating a boy who's mom was Dutch. She looked at the "September" one but couldn't make out more that a few words and she guessed it was written in old Dutch.

The other is like some Merryman plates and I'd guess is number 5 in a series.

Anyway, any idea what these say? Second photo I lightened to make it easier to see.
    1-36005 Tin-glazed Dutch text.jpg
    upload_2019-1-11_9-25-44.png :):)

1-36001 Dutch Delft plate.jpg
    upload_2019-1-11_9-20-53.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The blue and white plate is definitely Dutch and like a poem or similar, the ends of the lines are rhyming. Several of the words seem perfectly modern but that's all I can tell you.

@Any Jewelry

3. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

To me looking the plate and the used clay and way the Dutch is written to 17th century plate from Delft . The third plate photo could be made somewhere else in Holland also that age (the one with the Five on it . Could be interesting to a collector and bring some dollars also

say_it_slowly and Houseful like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Dutch of the first plate is an older, more formal type of Dutch that was also used in poetry. Similar Dutch was still written in the 19th and early 20th centuries in some circles, albeit with a slightly different spelling in places.

A translation of the september one:

September

For bitter cold after hot fire (summer)
    will give a youthful land at first
    If a sad cross now clings to you
    God will give you solace
    And if you never have a sweet fruit
    You are allowed to sit down after stress
    In the cross I want to be brave
    And humble in sunshine

Autumn month

The second one is a saying "de broek ant lijf" which in 'proper' Dutch would be "de broek aan het lijf". A literal translation is "the trousers on the body", which is like 'wearing trousers'.
    I am not familiar with this saying and have searched it in sites on sayings in dialect, but no result.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Just want to add, some of the words on the September plate are southern Dutch. So whoever wrote the text came from my neck of the woods, the southern Dutch province of Brabant, or from present day Belgium.
    Whether the plate was made in the southern Low Countries or the decorator moved north, I don't know.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Excellent thank you so much! They've been mysteries for years!

Draft saved Draft deleted