Old dirty painting with a hole in it

Discussion in 'Art' started by J Dagger, Jan 3, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

FE0DFFE4-3618-4F82-BB6B-8DCCA6E685A4.png 77B59764-A4FD-4C5E-95D3-66B58B0B8A4A.png 76761F78-31E5-48A6-84E0-C1AD558BCA0C.png CFE9D242-F6B1-4351-82DD-137D68F7CED1.png C84BB5E3-4BC2-4772-A925-D34863401E62.jpeg I guess I’m trying to figure out a value for this one. I’ve had it sitting around for a while and today someone saw it in the background of one my listings and expressed interest. The former owner had some somewhat valuable artwork in his collection along with some other good stuff. As I was picking up my purchases from the house I noticed a couple damaged paintings and frames sitting off to the side. I asked if they had been sold and it turned out they never made it into the auction. The folks running the show said they would be thrown out and that I was free to take them. I was more than happy to. This is one of them. The frame was sold by a Boston retailer that was around in the 1880’s. Not sure if the painting is of the same era or not? Hoping someone may recognize the setting, assuming it’s not fantasy. It’s not signed, or the signature is being obscured by the frame. The damage and dust obviously impact the value but it’s still pleasant to look at imo, and the frame is nice. I’ve actually grown to like it quite a bit. I suppose I should try to clear it out if I have the chance though. Would like to hear any opinions on it anyone would like to give.

KSW and lovewrens like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Your title made me want to like it right away. :):hilarious:

KSW, Van_Poperin and J Dagger like this.
  3. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

No info for you, but I really like it!

KSW and J Dagger like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If it’s a good enough painting the canvas can be repaired!! I think it’s kind of VERY Cool!!!! WHY don’t we see the hole on the back of the image.....must be sort of close to the canvas framing...even tho a distinct hole is showing in front...???

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Could be. But I'm more interested in why the "hole" does not go through to the back (reinforcing Aquitaine's post.) Can we see a close up of the "hole" from the front?

KSW, J Dagger and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

ricochet ?

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

GOOD EYE!!!! I’d say that’s a DARN GOOD “MAYBE”!!:singing::singing::singing:

KSW, J Dagger and i need help like this.
  9. J Dagger

Ahaha. I would have had the same reaction if someone else had written it.

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. J Dagger

You got it! Just being obscured by the edge of the frame and the shim. I’m glad I’m not alone and that you and lovewrens like it too.

11. J Dagger

That’s definitely it, they made good frames too. The thing is as solid and as heavy as a rock. It’s too bad there’s no clue to go on for the artist because I’m sure you would have him or her found already.

12. J Dagger

Just being hidden by the frame and shim in the frame.

Edit: or whatever the proper term is for a shim in reference to framing.

13. Bakersgma

Huh?? I still want to see a picture of the damage created by "the hole."

KSW, KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

There are some castles in Marblehead.

15. J Dagger

Here we go!
    B8A997F0-1209-486D-A1F8-84147798D3AE.jpeg 51EFEF2B-53C8-4C53-9399-E911F8D7F885.jpeg

KSW, KikoBlueEyes and Aquitaine like this.
  16. J Dagger

Oh interesting, didn’t know that. I’ll have to take a peak at some photos. To be honest I didn’t really know what I was looking at. The tower definitely looks like it would be part of a castle but what’s around it doesn’t really look all that cattle like to me.

KSW, KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  17. J Dagger

The two I see while very neat unfortunately don’t bear a resemblance here.

KSW likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Interesting. The earlier pictures made it look worse than how it looks in the close up. Looked like whatever caused it had gouged out the canvas.

INH - Are you talking about Marblehead, Mass?

KSW likes this.
  19. i need help

Yes, is that not right?

KSW likes this.
  20. J Dagger

hmm, maybe just a lighting thing.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted