Old Dutch Plate Without Marking Value

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suryagiri2012, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Suryagiri2012

Suryagiri2012 Member

20200424_110925.jpg 20200424_110935 (1).jpg 20200424_111138 (1).jpg

Hi,

I had a dish from my Grandpa, it is an old Dutch Dish without marking. This is seemly from pre-1870, since Maastricht dish with simillar patern has marking after 1870 era.

Is it this kind of no marking Dish has more value from the one has marking, since surely it is older than the one with marking.

What do you think? Thank you in advance

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Without any marking, and possibly even with a mark, the value will be sentimental.

Suryagiri2012 likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Old shell edge/feather edge impressed rim plates were made for a long period of time and are frequently associated with the UK but not exclusively. You might want to look at completed sales on someplace like Ebay if you're trying to find a value for yours. Try to look for those with similar attributes such as an edge that isn't scalloped, a straight impressed pattern, a base with a foot rim etc.

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I don't even think it's a feather edge, and I can't tell if it's impressed.

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's hard to tell too much, I'm guessing impressed by the way the blue seems to run out in places and the way the light seems to reflect on the tiny ridges but could be wrong. It's just one possible ways to search.

This site has some good information and examples.
    https://apps.jefpat.maryland.gov/di.../Shell Edged Wares/index-shelledgedwares.html

I hesitated to mention feather-edge though it's a term often used for this which I believe is actually shell-edge. I believe feather edge is more like this.

https://bardith.com/2018/02/10/english-creamware-history/feather-edge-creamware-ex/
    [​IMG]

6. Suryagiri2012

Suryagiri2012 Member

Thank you for all your insights. They are very helpful for me. At least I know where to start the search

7. Suryagiri2012

Suryagiri2012 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted