Featured Old earthernware jugs found in my son's basement cubby

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ulilwitch, Jul 5, 2020.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

My son bought an old house recently and found about ten of these jugs in a hidden cubby. Is anyone familiar with these jugs? He just brought these two upstairs to check them out. He says they are very heavy and extremely dirty but cannot find any markings on these two at least. They are approximately 16" high and 10" wide. jugs1.jpg jugs2.jpg jugs3.jpg jugs4.jpg jugs5.jpg jugs6.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

They look like liquor jugs

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Nice find!!!!!

Christmasjoy and ulilwitch like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

stoneware

Christmasjoy and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm thinking moonshiner's lair.

6. Bronwen

I'm thinking moonshiner's lair.

Davey, Am I the only one experiencing weirdness every time I try to post a reply? I get the gif or whatever it is that indicates 'working', but message will only post if I leave & move to some other page. I cleared my cookies a few days ago; this just started yesterday.

7. daveydempsey

No one else has said anything.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe you can email Crocker Farm Pottery?

komokwa and ulilwitch like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know where your son's house is so this may not be helpful. This is from the book American Stonewares The Art & Craft of Utilitarian Potters by Greer. It shows some different forms and gives examples of where some of that type and time they could have been made. There were many possible makers but it shows a general progression in form and date. Your white-ish one is shouldered but can't see the form of the other.

For general terms when describing the glazes, the white-ish one if it has a thickish looking coating may be a Bristol white and the dark one is probably Albany slip.

IMG_20200705_171240.jpg

10. Bronwen

I can upload photos, no problem. Maybe it will stop just as spontaneously as it started. The only way I can escape this message box is to leave the page. Weird.

11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I've heard them called whisky jugs. Tons of them out there, nearly every estate auction I attend has a few. Cool find!

ulilwitch and Bronwen like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I noticed you double posting before. Do you only have this problem with this site? Or could it have to do with your internet connection?
    I have that 'working' symbol occasionally, without anything actually happening. Sometimes reloading the page helps, sometimes not.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Only this site. I realized after I made that note that I was probably double posting. What seems to happen is that the post gets made, added to the thread above the reply box, out of my sight, but the draft doesn't disappear. Text is still in the box & that 'working' gif is going in the upper right corner, so I hit the Post Reply button again, it still doesn't clear the form, etc. Reloading the page sounds promising. Here goes.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Only this site. I realized after I made that note that I was probably double posting. What seems to happen is that the post gets made, added to the thread above the reply box, out of my sight, but the draft doesn't disappear. Text is still in the box & that 'working' gif is going in the upper right corner, so I hit the Post Reply button again, it still doesn't clear the form, etc. Reloading the page sounds promising. Here goes.

OK. Reloading the page makes the post appear & stops the gif, but text in draft box does not go away & is still available for editing/additions, which is what I'm doing now.

Mugzinnys and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Bronwen

OK. Reloading the page makes the post appear & stops the gif, but text in draft box does not go away & is still available for editing/additions, which is what I'm doing now.

Text still open in reply box. I either have to manually delete or leave the page. At least now I know not to keep hitting Post Reply.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:playful:
    I had that years ago, it was a reply to a nasty person, that I though I couldn't post. It ended up looking like I was really trying to get my point across.:hilarious:

judy and Mugzinnys like this.
  17. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

The house is in Clifton Springs NY. Built in 1890.

judy and PortableTreasures like this.
  18. daveydempsey

Have you tried another browser ?

I never see what you talk about, "Working" or any Gifs.

judy likes this.
  19. Bronwen

Text still open in reply box. I either have to manually delete or leave the page. At least now I know not to keep hitting Post Reply.

This is what happens. When I came back here, the draft was still here & when I hit Reply for your message it was incorporated here. I don't know if a gif is the right term for it. It is the same animation that appears at the top right of the screen when the site is trying to upload a photo file & keeps going until the upload completes or you get a message that the file is too large. I use Firefox. I have not experimented with other browsers as I do not wish to use them.

judy likes this.
  20. Bronwen

It just now worked properly. It's the way the copier is always fine when the repair person comes.

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted