Old embroidered pin from Germany

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tricia Harr, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    going through some personal things of my family. My Dad picked thus up for my aunt when he was over in Germany (I think) during wwII, she saved it all these years and gave it to me.. but I can't make out the wording on the bottom..
    tia 2019-06-29-00-06-47.jpg

Jivvy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Tricia, thank you for your father's service.

The pin is a Nazi-era badge given to those who donated to 'Winterhilfswerk', a centralized charity which helped poor people survive the winter.
    Winterhilfswerk was a way to get rid of the usual charities, notably church ones, and register the poor. Remember, this was a totalitarian state, which wanted power over everything, and wanted to eliminate interference from churches or independent organisations. They would have preferred to rid themselves of churches altogether, and had even begun to conceive their own religion to replace Christianity.
    People gave readily to the charity, not just to help the poor, but it was frowned upon if you didn't have such a badge.

Yours is from Niederdonau, the word at the bottom. Niederdonau was the Nazi name for parts of Austria, Czechia, and Hungary, all German occupied.
    The girl on the badge is wearing a costume from the border region of Bohemia (in Czechia) and Austria.
    Your father could have picked it up in Germany, but Austria would have been more likely. Czechia and Hungary were Russian occupied after WWII, so he wouldn't have been there. Do you know if he was in Austria as well as Germany?

Even though many badges were issued, different ones for different years, collection rallies, and regions, these are now collectible, though not very valuable.
    The value to you is much more, of course.:)

Here is something on the charity:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterhilfswerk

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you, @Any Jewelry, for the Great history of this pin! I agree, it has a Great Meaningful Value in ways other than money. Thank you for sharing it, @Tricia Harr! :)

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Spoils of war.

Debora

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted