Old German book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Cassy, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

462B0AAA-3CF1-49FE-8065-A90E7538AF54.jpeg 1275EE08-121A-4792-A31D-614FB8418614.jpeg DFE791C7-54C7-4173-86BA-C186769E107B.jpeg Hi all looking for any information on this old book please

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's book about the epistles (letters) and gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) in the bible.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have an old German dictionary about the same age and my German friend told me it's worthless because it's in...wait for it...Old German. Dialectically speaking, it's not of any use any more unless in a university with a course in Old German. This looks to be the same age. I suppose collectors might be interested.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, post-1800 German books - especially with a religious theme - are virtually worthless in the U.S. Midwest.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Old religious volumes generally have no value.

Debora

Figtree3 and Fid like this.
  6. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the information , cheers cassy

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

for most people that were brought up in German writing areas it's no problem to read this script. no university needed; most learnt it when visiting their grandparents. today it's getting less of course - just look at the youngster's handwriting - eine Katastrophe !!!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Fid,
    It is so true about kids handwriting. My nephew's schools decided years ago to stop teaching penmanship. Their handwriting is beyond horrendous. Last year the school district voted to include penmanship again. My handwriting is horrible since I print everything instead of writing it is readable. My bank used to check several times a month since I never sign my name twice the same on checks.
    greg

Fid likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The kid (25) who works for us has to fill out invoices on the job. It's a real challenge to read his writing.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I see another problem, too. the kids are not taught a certain perseverance in learning. and learning by heart is out of question these days !

Draft saved Draft deleted