Featured Old glass Christmas garland - Czech?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Nov 16, 2014.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I bought this beaded garland last year before Christmas and put it in the shop at about $28.00. Reduced it just before Christmas and drastically again just after Christmas without takers. I raised it back up in Feb. and kept it in the shop at $19.00 thinking, if the right person came along, they would recognize it as good and old. I eventually reduced it down to $14.50 this past Summer, and still no takers. I decided to pull it recently to try it on ebay this season since I really think it is better than what the locals see in it ....... or don't see in it :sour:

I can't find anything like it for comparison. The glass beads are solid and have variation in color. There are flattened pressed leaves interspersed throughout. There is a double steel wire down the length of the garland and the beads are attached to this with finer wire with bead projections out from the core. A lot of the beads are bunched in to the center but can be bent out so that this has more dimensionality than what can be seen in the pics (Hope this makes sense). Overall length is just slightly over 5' and it has a bit of weight to it.

My gut reactions says this is Czech. What do others think? Anyone see or find anything quite like it? Any idea of age? Value? How best to market it on ebay?

garland.jpg

garland3.jpg

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I love it, looks like little holly berries and thaat crimped glass leaf looks Czech but just a wild guess.

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

That is somewhat similar but it is not glass. I had not thought to search glass berry garland and found a pic of something similar doing so at flickr. Unfortunately, it is just a pic with no info.

[​IMG]

I am finding other things that look similar but aren't glass.

5. verybrad

6. spirit-of-shiloh

Yes I saw lots but not glass, so your 14.99 is way too low I would think?

I knew a gal who opened a T store and the money went to animal rescue. She was having problems selling stuff. I looked at some of her goodies and said UP the price, and the nicer stuff,put in cabinets and display cases. It worked and she sold a lot of stuff that way.

Do you have other ornaments to bunch ttogether so the garland will SHINE???;)

KingofThings likes this.
  7. verybrad

8. spirit-of-shiloh

WOW, looks like yours only thirs was missing a lot of berries and diddn't have the crimped glass.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. verybrad

KingofThings likes this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

WOW,so you can shape into candle rings. I see the leaves on the one you linked. Well, yours are vintage anyway. :cat:

KingofThings likes this.
  11. verybrad

Thanks for the help. I don't know why I didn't think of the key word berries. Made all the difference in searching. There aren't anything similar listed on ebay right now so I think I will throw them up at $24.99 w/ free shipping and see what happens. Might be pushing it a bit based on the others but I can always lower the price if I have to.

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have some of those leaf shaped beads in my bead supplies that I only bought seven years ago, so they are currently on the market.

13. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Brad, a link to your ebay store would be very convenient right now! I wish everyone would link their selling spot. It appears I am the only one with self-promotion airs.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. verybrad

Great idea but I don't have an ebay store. I guess I could link to my auctions but I am not always selling........ Never hurts to network a bit when allowed.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I love that garland! Please let us know when you list it, Brad. I have this spiral silverplate christmas tree shaped candle holder that I've been trying to figure out what I could wrap around it and that would work well.

And thanks to Trip98 who gave me the reminder to link my store here - and to figure out how to post a URL so that it looks like something else!

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Tie.dye.cat,

Just to let you know, I contacted Brad and bought the garland from him. Thanks, Brad!

KingofThings and tie.dye.cat like this.
  17. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  18. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

This why we need you all to include your selling spots. There have been a few things posted I would of like watch being sold or even purchase.

Brad, I think you could put a link to your ebay ID which may have some way to link to " your items for sale" that is when you are selling.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

okay just checked my ebay ID and it does have an internal link to "items selling". So for those of you who don't have an ebay store link to your ID page. Not sure what code you would use but I am sure on of our clever moderators can figure it out.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Brad did not have the garland up for sale on eBay when I contacted him. Just to be clear... I'm not one of those eBay buyers who tries to get sellers to make deals with them outside of eBay for listed items. -- Instead, I messaged Brad through the Antiquers message system after reading the discussion and then realizing that he had not listed it on eBay yet.

So, good advice from trip98 about the listing links, but it wouldn't have made any difference in this case.

Fig

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Jen and George and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted