Old Glass Ormolu? Fruit Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dave D, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

This didn't look too impressive when I pulled it out but after I cleaned it up it looks a lot better. The stems and veins are goldish when the light is at the right angle. Is this considered ormolu? I just learned that word today trying to research this bowl so I could be wrong. The bowl is 10 1/2" across. I think my mom was given this by one of her older friends and it's probably sat in that upper cupboard shelf since she moved to the house in 1977 {and she probably had it a long time before that.}
    There are a couple of small air bubbles in it. There are no identifying marks. Reflecting light kind of played havoc with my photos.
    Thanks for anything you can tell me about this. I'm curious as to age. P1050052.JPG P1050053.JPG P1050055.JPG P1050056.JPG P1050055.JPG P1050057.JPG P1050058.JPG P1050059.JPG P1050060.JPG P1050061.JPG

judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Your piece is glass, Google tell us this:

Ormolu.jpg

Since there is no metal on your glass piece there is no ormolu, it is just amber colored glass :) Based on the color I suspect 1950s-70s but thats JMHO.

judy, Bakersgma, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like a good pattern for Goofus treatment.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks 1980s or later to me.

judy likes this.
  5. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

I thought the "goofus" comment was some kind of joke until I ran into a piece of goofus glass on craigslist today!

antidiem and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

This is not a piece of goofus glass.

Draft saved Draft deleted