Featured Old gold ring with red stones

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Mirene, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Mirene

Mirene New Member

20190203_121045 (1).jpg Hello dear experts. I would like to hear an approximate assessment of this ring. Gold sample 900

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it says 900, it's most likely to be gold washed silver. Bohemian garnets and a cameo I'd like to see the back and the band please, but I suspect eerly 20th C.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board. If you go back to Edit and click full image, your picture will show up for those who use phones.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

D61AEADE-A7A9-4086-8A14-251F105A9AF3.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Mirene! :)
    Are there any marks? If you can get a photo, please choose Full Size. :)

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with Owned. Early 1900s, garnets and cameo.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Mirene.

Agree, Bohemian garnets and .900 silver with gilding.
    This is classic Bohemian and these were made for some time. Difficult to date without seeing the inside construction.
    The girl seems to have a turned up nose, which would make it a bit later. @Bronwen ?:)

Bronwen, Mirene and i need help like this.
  7. Mirene

Mirene New Member

8. Any Jewelry

Thanks for the photos. It is vintage Czechoslovakian, rather than antique Bohemian. Made in the same region of Bohemia though, according to the same tradition.

And it looks like it is a real shell cameo, but Bronwen will be able to tell. She has already been tagged.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, with that back, later setting. Between the wars.

reader, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Noses are one feature to look for when dating cameos, another is hairstyle. The cameo is hack work; I would put post-WWII into the 1950s. Given the way the bezel gaps at the top but looks crimped at the bottom, I was going to suggest it might not be original to the ring, but the one INH found looks like original issue. I have seen reports of Italian cameo cutters going tent to tent to sell their wares to American GIs. No doubt a jewellery manufacturer could have picked up a box car load on the cheap.

KSW, KikoBlueEyes, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Bohemian garnet jewellery comes in many qualities.
    In the 19th century Bohemian garnet jewellery, of the type every collector now wants, was sold at fairs here in the Netherlands. Bohemian travelling salesmen had already been selling their wares here for centuries. Often very nice things, of a quality the picky Dutch wanted.

Not to put your ring down, Mirene, but this is not top quality, and many of these were made. It is a very nice, decorative ring.

KSW, KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would add that small cameos that do not stand up well under close scrutiny can 'read' just fine when worn. A friend who was looking at the screen from a couple of yards away just saw a perfectly acceptable pretty woman.

KSW, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted