Old hand carved wood mask identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MjW, Jun 12, 2020.

1. MjW

MjW New Member

Looking for help identifying this old hand carved wood mask please. Curious about place of origin, age and value???
    I have attached a few pics.
    Thank you for your time!

Attached Files:

KikoBlueEyes and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a moros y cristianos mask from México to me (although I've not seen one unpainted.) Let's see what others think.

Debora

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AND WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, @MjW!!! But you'll have to wait for others on your mask!!:):)

Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies, MjW, for my terrible manners. Didn't see that you were a new member. Welcome!

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome. I don't understand the holes above the eyes and no hole to get air in to breathe. It looks like a decoration to me, but I have zilch knowledge about masks so this is just an observation.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I wonder if the holes above the eyes once sported horns.

KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's an old moros y cristianos mask. Also has holes above the "eyes."

Debora

ft7x0nb536_00060.jpg

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-6-12_13-27-10.jpeg maybe Guatemala is a better bet...........
    Conquistador ..
    pedro de Alvarado

2manybooks, smallaxe and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you've got it.

Debora

12. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

From and extensive blog about Mexican dance masks (sadly the author of the site passed away last March) is a post about diablo masks of Guatamala.

The next mask is one that seems prone to mislead. At first glance one sees a pair of eyes and then a pair of round holes at a higher level, just as one expects for a Guatemalan mask. Then one notices that there are vision slits over the carved eyes, while the round holes are unlikely to be a third set of eyes. Furthermore, the round holes are tapered. This is a Diablo mask that has lost its horns.
    But looking at other masks, it looks more like the mask used in the conquest dance (Español mask). In that case the holes where the eyes are may be decoration, and the holes above are for the wearer to see out of. If you hold it up to your face, which holes match your eyes?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    2manybooks, KikoBlueEyes and antidiem like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted