Old hand colored English engraving(?) of the queen? 5 miniature paintings by Gemma Taccogna

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 26, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found a very interesting engraving(? that's what it appears to say on the back - it says a Lot on the back!) that it appears is a English hand colored print & from what I can understand it shows the Queen on horseback with guards? But doing a image search I couldn't find anything like it 0 can someone tell me if this is something special or just a antique hand colored engraving/etching?

Another unusual thing I found at a thrift store today was 5 miniature paintings by Gemma Taccogna. Googling her I found she was most famous for her paper mache but when I google her and painting I found very few & no miniature ones - are these by her?

Thank you for any information!

ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 2AA.jpg ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 1AA.jpg ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 5BAA.jpg ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 6BA_AAA.jpg ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 6CAA.jpg ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 7AA.jpg ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 7CAAA.jpg ART PRINT ETCHING ENGLAND WUEESN ON HORSEBACK 6FAA.jpg ART PAINTING GEMMA TAGCOGNA 1BAA.jpg ART PAINTING GEMMA TAGCOGNA 2AA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Gemma Taccgonas look right. She appears to have done some late-career paintings. And here's her signature for comparison.

Debora

bettycrafter com.jpg

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  5. journeymagazine

6. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Imagine she has collectors. Key word "mod."

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Maggs Bros. a very respected source. Given by Ida Hilton Seymour, wife of diplomat John Barton Seymour, to her nephew Templeton Strong of Savannah, GA as part of his "Victoria" collection. May be the sheet music cropped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256061360577

Debora

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Note that the Camp Polka piece is described in that link as a lithograph.

Looks like there's heavy acid staining to the print. I would expect the paper to be very brittle and fragile.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="journeymagazine"-Wow! How did you find that?
    Hats off to you![/QUOTE]
    JM-Try Googling Gemma Taccgona 'images' or 'shopping'.Nice little paintings.

12. journeymagazine

I posted them last night for $450obo - and accepted $450 this morning!
    Thanks again Debora

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  13. journeymagazine

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch it. Likely too fragile to fiddle with. And information re provenance adds interest/value.

Debora

Figtree3 and journeymagazine like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

On the litho: Kronos was there way before me, but image search did turn up an example with very little info attached, but it did ID the woman as young Queen Victoria. I then searched images with phrases like "victoria riding", and "victoria encampment", and something like that connected to the two nerdy history girls site.

The British Museum link Deborah posted says "Lithograph, printed in colour, with additional hand-colouring, with letterpress".

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Figtree3 and journeymagazine like this.
  16. journeymagazine

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted