Old hand-painted oil on canvas(several)

Discussion in 'Art' started by CluelessFarmBoy, Sep 25, 2021.

1. CluelessFarmBoy

CluelessFarmBoy Active Member

I happened upon these beauties about a week and a half ago settling an estate of a successful neurology surgeon in A very upscale neighborhood where the sale completely bombed, there wasn't more than a handful of people there each day and let's just say it wasn't their neighbors that were coming to look at the stuff so it makes no surprise to me that none of the collectibles none of the art none of the expensive furniture was touched, I am no expert but I do know that these are not your average run of the mill litho reprints, the curator claims them to be hand-painted oil on canvas dating somewhere in the realm of late 1800s to mid 1900s, I thought that was a pretty broad range I'm assuming he doesn't know anything about art either so that's why I'm here, where's the experts? What am I looking at here? Much appreciation for any insight! Cheers!
    BTW, I'm referring to the pieces that are standing along the perimeter of the fence all the ones laying flat or lithos reprints a few are original arts just from modern artists.
    kmc_20210925_202814.jpg kmc_20210925_202818.jpg kmc_20210925_202821.jpg kmc_20210925_202825.jpg kmc_20210925_202829.jpg kmc_20210925_202833.jpg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From what I can see, the curator was surprisingly ill informed. I don't see anything that isn't a decorative or a copy of a well known painting. Degas above, as identified. I also see Morisot, Da Vinci...

Debora

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    JayBee, NewEngland, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

NewEngland and CluelessFarmBoy like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are they now yours?

Debora

CluelessFarmBoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I always think it's a shame when "collectors" buy copies such as these. They're not cheap and they money could better be spent supporting good local artists instead.

Debora

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Rich doesnt always mean good taste.

8. CluelessFarmBoy

Yes ma'am they sure are, I'm not much a fan of art but I do fancy the nighttime piece with waves crashing against the rocks.

judy likes this.
  9. CluelessFarmBoy

My sentiments exactly.

judy likes this.
  10. CluelessFarmBoy

That's what I was thinking, he had them priced at $100 - $300 each.

judy likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is 'Two Dancers on Stage." Degas. 1877. The original is in the Courtauld Gallery, London.

Debora

two-dancers-on-stage-1877.jpg!PinterestSmall.jpeg

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is 'Portrait of Ginerva Benci." da Vinci. c. 1474. Original in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC.

Debora

portrait-of-ginevra-benci.jpg!Large.jpeg

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think the Georgian portraits were on here before.

Debora

Elen Beattie likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a guy who just wanted to surround himself with beautiful copies of master works in heavily over the top period style frames.....

Potteryplease likes this.
  15. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

You have good taste, that one, in my opinion, is the best of the lot. Could you post a pic of the back? I think I am seeing a signature lower left, if so, a pic of that too. Does this piece have glass? It is hard to tell from the pic.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I thought it was a Bierstadt but can't find an original.

Debora

71HT3mK2r5L._AC_SX466_.jpg

17. CluelessFarmBoy

Sure thing, give me a little while and I'll post some more photos, no there is no glass.

18. CluelessFarmBoy

This one actually has the original printed on the bottom border along with "litho in USA" I can also see the dot matrix but the others have texture to them, brush strokes and whatnot.

19. CluelessFarmBoy

I could not locate a signature anywhere, appears to indeed be canvas reframed several times and was quite filthy, you can clearly see the brush stroke in the moon, beyond that, I know not what else to look for, hope this helps!
    kmc_20210926_172316.jpg kmc_20210926_172307.jpg kmc_20210926_172303.jpg kmc_20210926_172319.jpg kmc_20210926_172257.jpg kmc_20210926_172253.jpg kmc_20210926_172248.jpg

20. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The seascape looks to be an original by an artist who had some skill. Its not badly done but didn't care to sign it. Seascapes were popular during that time. Judging by the back I would say 1930s to 40s.

Draft saved Draft deleted