Old interesting ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jal, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Jal

Jal Active Member

As you can see, I have several interesting objects to display. I have my own opinion and some information about them, but I am really enjoying your opinions.
    r.jpg
    In this case I show you a ring that I consider old with coral. What is your opinion on age?
    rr.jpg rrr.jpg

It is curious to see how the stones are carved with 3 sides.

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m a jewelry dope, but the center looks like Tagua nut.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The center is Mediterranean orange coral; the smaller stones are ... dunno. The setting has been around for a while, but it's not antique. The construction on the back looks more 1990s than 1920s, but I'm not totally sure when it was made.

KSW, Christmasjoy, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  4. i need help

I didn’t realize coral had a grain to it, weird. :hilarious:

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Coral colonies have channels for nutrients to reach all the little individual polyps.

6. i need help

Thank you for the explanation! :happy:

KSW, judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The other stones look like marcasites and some look to be missing :(

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Well, I think it looks like it doesn't fit you!

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The stones could be zircons and the ring is a poor marriage.

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The small stones were cut the same way they have been for centuries.....

11. Jal

Jal Active Member

Well, the ring is not how I thought. I am wondering if you could recommend a book on the history of jewelry, I have searched for one, but I do not find any that seems good.

12. Jal

Jal Active Member

This is another of my favourites rings. What's your opinion?? d.jpg ddd.jpg dd.jpg

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Very pretty :)

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty ring. Not old, but pretty.

15. Jal

Jal Active Member

I think that it is old, I think that it is the typical Spanish Art Deco design

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, Art Deco. Not typical Spanish though, we have similar rings here in the Netherlands. Maybe typical European, I don't know.:)

The coral ring is more Spanish, the way it is raised on that prong construction. I have seen similar 'raised' ringfaces on Spanish rings from the 1950s and 60s. They had more elegant ringbands though.

The coral is Mediterranean red coral, not orange. Official name Corallum Rubrum, which simply means red coral. I suspect it was sourced from Spanish coral banks.
    The colour is more salmon, but is still considered Mediterranean red. I prefer it to the more intense red.
    Italian Sciacca coral is generally pale salmon, Adria coral from the Adriatic Sea can occasionally be more orangey, but they are all Mediterranean red coral.

PortableTreasures, KSW and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Many jewellery history books focus on higher end jewellery, which isn't much use to you.
    Since you are in Europe, it is best not to buy an American book, they focus on American jewellery, which is beautiful, but we hardly get American jewellery here in Europe.
    Also, the timelines are slightly different. Antique innovations often arrived later in North America, so you'll get the wrong idea of the history of an item.

A bit closer to home is "Starting to Collect Antique Jewellery" by John Benjamin. It is British, but there is also some attention for jewellery from other European countries and a bit from North America. It is gives a good idea of periods and trends, and is a good place to start your jewellery book collection.
    You may also want to search for books on Iberian jewellery, since you not only come across the general European styles, but also jewellery that is specific to the Iberian peninsula.

PortableTreasures, KSW and Xristina like this.
  18. Jal

Jal Active Member

Well, I always saw those kind of items here in Spanish shops, but sure that your information is more correct.

Related with your explanation about coral, it is another interesting topic, I have a interesting collection of coral pieces and branches, it helps me to learn. Later I will post it, because I have many doubts ober the corals.

Thanks for your answer!!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Jal

Jal Active Member

Thanks for your explanation you are an expert. I will start buying the book of John Benjamin, sure that it helps me because I have a big mess on my brain. And I will try to found a specific book to the Iberian Peninsula, but maybe it will be difficult.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

No expert, just someone who loves and collects jewellery.:)

KSW and Xristina like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted